Questions about the FIND panel

I just don't get it; it doesn't matter what directory or drive I start with for finding files, the search always begins at a specific directory on a particular drive. If I want to have a quick look for files in a limited portion of disk storage, FIND searches everything and it takes awhile. For example, I'm in the Documents folder on the C: drive (yes, the "Find in:" panel box says "C:/Documents"), start a search and it begins on the D: drive. Why? I though it was supposed to begin in the same directory you are in when the command starts. Okay, so what am I missing here?

On a related note, in the FIND panel under the fill-in box for "Find in:", there is another box. Mine says "D:/" invariably. THis box is not editable and there is no mention of it in the help file that I can find. What is it for? Could this be related to the above problem?

Let's see.. the search starts in D:, and in the list of paths to search you have D:, and you wonder if this could be related?

Yes, I think it possibly is :slight_smile:

The Find function lets you search multiple locations simultaneously. There is an edit field, which lets you type in paths to search, and a list below. To add paths to the list, click the Add Folder button (second on the right from the Find in: label). To remove a path from the list, click it and use the Remove Folder button - just to the right of the previously mentioned Add Folder button. It's a big red X, you can't miss it.

O.K. I just know what are you talking about. As Jon said, you can use the big red X for cleaning the search list, but I think this is not a good idea at all, because you must click on this key time by time and many time you will forget it and you must search again and again (I hope GPSoftware put a checkbox say "Clear the list automatically before each search" in next version).

But now, I suggest you replace the main Find code with following code:

@nofilenamequoting Find IN "{sourcepath}"

this code will clear the list automatically for you before each search.

Folders don't go into the list unless you put them there by clicking the Add button. If you never put a folder in the list then you'll never have to clear it.

You are right, but many users (among me) dose this work many time!. In versions 8.x, when some drives were checked for searching, on next search, selected drives were unchecked automatically and this was a very good feature.

Well, fine then. Now I understand that the lower box is for storing locations to be included in the search. Thanks.

Just want to add I was referring the program's help file on this subject. For me it's not entirely clear (yes, I need real clarity if there is any chance some information will "sink in"). The D:/ in the panel's lower box was not knowingly placed there by me--probably a wild cursor click.

By the way, the help file (on the subject of Find) says, "The initial starting folder is taken as the current folder from where Find was invoked....". This is not entirely true, at least in my case. Referring to my earlier example about the C: and D: drives, if "C:/Documents" is shown in the Find In box (the current location) and "D:/" is below in the also-include-these-folders-in-the-search box, my search will always start with "D:/" then continue on to C:. I don't know why, maybe because we're talking about two logical, not physical drives.

It may or may not be entirely true. It certainly is not in English as most people understand it.

Not for the first time, I comment on the manual and help files of DOpus. They let down the software.

GPSoftware could so itself a favour by unleashing a truly picky technical writer on the manual.

For once, this is an area that I know all too well. I don't edit manuals. It doesn't pay well enough. But I know what it takes to cut through opaque language like that.

Go on, try to turn it into instructions that make sense to an ordinary individual. Not easy.

Here's a free hint, remove the passive writing.

Oh yes, this program would be hard to beat in this arena. There's precious little out there that does what this does with this level of adaptability.

DOpus is a great program, with great features, but it has to be said: the Find panels (yes, plural) are way below "intuitivity standards". Opposed to what was claimed here, invoking from the current directory and search within it and ONLY within it does NOT work if there are other directories defined in the panel, as deleting them also deletes the current directory. I think GPSoft should take the comments on this thread slightly more seriously. Thanks.

Do not confuse what you read here with the "official" views of GPSoftware. I have found differences between these.

My own preference for a standalone search tool is FindOnClick from 2brightsparks, the perpetrators of the excellent SyncBack.

I usually spend more time trying to do something than trying to work out how to do it, so I have not looked into what it would take to get DOpus to pass searches on to SyncBack. But the folks at 2brightsparks are into command line features. So It might work with DOpus.

As I also use a desktop search took, X1, my search needs rarely fit into any pattern that might need such automation.

Do you mean that the problem is if you delete all the folders then you have to do something to add back the current folder?

Perhaps if no folders are listed at all and you click Find then it should automatically insert the current folder. Would that solve the problem or have I misunderstood?

Apart from the annoyance with clearing the list also clearing the current folder I don't see anything wrong or unintuitive about how the Find panel works. It searches the folder(s) that are listed.

BTW: A quick way to put the current folder back into the box is to click the lock button (near where it says "Find in") twice. I'm not claiming that is obvious; just offering it as a quick way to do it once you know about it.

FWIW I used the find utility panel probably about 10 times just this afternoon. It works great for me and I can't think of any way I'd like to see it improved.

I'm not suggesting others don't have a point in what they're saying only that I like the way the find panel works as it is.