Questions regarding the new licensing model

As per the new Dopus 13-based license model, I understand that there is a license discount for multiple licenses.

For example, for 5 licenses I would have to pay $ 146 AUD to upgrade from Dopus 12. For new purchases that would be 249 AUD.

The new licensing announcement said a yearly upgrade subscription would cost about AUD 25 per computer. So my question is will there also be some kind of discount here? Or will I have to pay AUD 125 per year just to get updates for all my 5 computers?

Please email sales@gpsoft.com.au for a definitive answer to pricing questions.

Just realized it says $75 per year for updates.

Whoah, that is expensive!

...for updates only! :exploding_head::disappointed_relieved:

Goodbye, Dopus.

1 Like

Updates were never free forever. The new model just means paying a smaller amount more often (and getting new features sooner, instead of waiting 4-7 years for them as in the past).

Up to you if you think they're worth paying for or not (you have a perpetual licence to any version/update you've paid for), but I don't understand why it's a surprise they cost money. They always did, it just used to be a lot more money per update, on a less-frequent and fairly random schedule.

1 Like

Updates were never free forever.

Well, I have never had to pay for updates previously and I was happy with that.

Upgrades to new Dopus versions on the other hand I had to pay for.

I think we might be talking past each other here because when you say updates I assume you mean version upgrades also. I am differentiating between version upgrades and software updates.

Keeping essential updates behind payment is disappointing and marks the beginning of a new era for Dopus where I can only imagine what comes next.

I have used Directory Opus for about a decade now and I absolutely love it. It is one of the few software I gladly spend my money on. And I could spend a lot on it, to be honest. but at the end of the day, no matter how amazing Dopus is, it is just a file manager tool. And for me, it is not worth the money at this rate.

Having said that I would love to see a lifetime license. I could see myself pay around 250, maybe 300 AUD for it. Just not having to worry about annual payments is worth it alone.

1 Like

You bought Opus 11 in 2015 and then paid to upgrade it to Opus 12 in 2016. It was just so long ago you forgot.

There are no more "major upgrades" after Opus 13. We'll still work on major features, but they'll go out as soon as they are ready to everyone with a current version, instead of you having to wait years to get your hands on them.

1 Like

Sorry to butt in here ( I've been a DOpus user since it first came out on the Amiga ) are you saying Leo, that Software updates, for bug fixes etc are now going to cost money ?
I am NOT talking about Upgrades, which you seem to have bypassed in the OP's comment you quoted.

If that is truly the case, then I guess this will the last time I upgrade to Opus, as this new model is not nice, kinda sad....

2 Likes

What do you mean I forgot?

That was exactly my point. Previously I paid for an upgrade from one major version to another. Not for updates.

With the new licensing model I will have to pay annually to receive updates.

Why are we going in circles about this?

A new version is an upgrade also. But let's say it doesn't, they're also considering offering a lifetime price and/or to release new versions annually which would mean the same as you paying just for every new major version (and still only if you want to) anyways.

I have an idea.
Perhaps a very limited time offer for a long term licence (license) juxtaposed with a Directory Opus anniversary celebration could generate earnings and please users at the same time.

Password Agent of Moon Software did just that with their 25th year anniversary in 2021 before adopting a new licensing model of 2 years. They made a one time offer of a 100 year license to those who upgraded within a small time frame.

100 year redact

It's really no different to before, other than you pay smaller amounts for less time than before.

You pay for a version, you get free features and bug fixes for a period. Same as before, except the costs and schedules are more predictable, and you'll get features sooner (as we won't be holding them back for years to build up a major release), which is also better for testing.

In the past, if you owned Opus 11 and waited until Opus 12 was out to report a bug, unless it was something truly exceptional we would not put out a special version of Opus 11 just for you; the fix would go into Opus 12, and you would need to own Opus 12 to get it.

In the present, if you upgrade to Opus 13 today, decide not to pay us ever again after that, and then wait 2 years to report a bug, you won't get a fix for that unless you pay for our time. You'll still get fixes for things reported before then.

We are talking about US $0.04 per day here, and only after 1 or 2 years have passed. That's the total. It was never free to stay on the latest version of Opus forever. The difference in total price is going to be tiny, especially if you account for inflation over the years (it's probably still a price reduction if you do, although it's hard to pin down as the time periods were so unpredictable before).

If you care enough about Opus to be worried about bugs that happen in 2 years time and post about it on the forum, I don't think that is an amount worth worrying about.

I'm honestly tired of these threads as we've been arguing about this stuff for weeks now. It's a huge drain on our time. Things finally settled down and the forum was back to focusing on technical support, until we sent out the emails yesterday. The vast majority of people are very happy with the update. Some people won't be happy with anything that costs any amount of money. I can't change that, and I'm tired of talking about it.

If you want to argue about licencing changes further, email sales@gpsoft.com.au as I won't be answering any more of these threads myself.

5 Likes

This should be finalized, they are not going to change the licensing method because they complain or because of their opinions, to me personally all this is correct, leave these opinions, and in short, whoever likes it should buy it and whoever No, then look for the solution elsewhere and that's it, they only take time away from truly important things in the software.

1 Like

This is getting frustrating because, at first, I thought we were talking past each other, but now I am not sure anymore. I am sorry to say this, but it feels like you are being stubborn or having difficulty admitting that the new licensing is a disadvantage to the customer. You play with words, saying nothing is new, yet you explain the difference.

It's really no different to before, other than you pay smaller amounts for less time than before.

So it is different then.

You pay for a version, you get free features and bug fixes for a period. Same as before, except the costs and schedules are more predictable, and you'll get features sooner (as we won't be holding them back for years to build up a major release), which is also better for testing.

It is not the same as before. The difference is that previously, as I have said multiple times, I could use a major version of Dopus for years while still receiving bug fixes and updates. Then after a few years I could decide if I wanted to pay for an upgrade to a new major version. On the other hand, with the new licensing model, If I purchase a major version of Dopus, I am limited to one or two years of updates. After that, I will have to pay for newer updates (bug fixes and such).

Same as before, except the costs and schedules are more predictable, and you'll get features sooner (as we won't be holding them back for years to build up a major release), which is also better for testing.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I have never had a problem with "costs and schedules" being unpredictable, whatever that means, and I have never wanted features any faster.

We are talking about US $0.04 per day here, and only after 1 or 2 years have passed. That's the total. It was never free to stay on the latest version of Opus forever. The difference in total price is going to be tiny, especially if you account for inflation over the years (it's probably still a price reduction if you do, although it's hard to pin down as the time periods were so unpredictable before).

This is just a reframing tactic. Breaking down a large sums into smaller, easier to swallow numbers can lead to cognitive bias because the overall ammount will seem more manageable. But since we are playing with numbers, I will go along with it.

I bought Dopus 11 in 2015 and paid 89 AUD for it. In 2016, I upgraded that license to Dopus 12 for 50 AUD. In total, that is 139 AUD. Divided by the 9 years I have used it, that amounts to 139 AUD per year, which with todays licensing model, would be 225 AUD for 9 years of udates ($25 x 9 = $225).

So in conclusion, with the new licensing model, had it been in effect in 2015, I would be paying $86 more for those 9 years. That is $9.5 more per year. So the new licensing model is not only a disadvantage to the customer. It is also more expensive.

If you care enough about Opus to be worried about bugs that happen in 2 years time and post about it on the forum, I don't think that is an amount worth worrying about.

Sure, I care. That does not mean I have infinite money. I am happy to pay for bug fixes, but the amount is too much. That is really what is being discussed here.

I'm honestly tired of these threads as we've been arguing about this stuff for weeks now. It's a huge drain on our time. Things finally settled down and the forum was back to focusing on technical support, until we sent out the emails yesterday. The vast majority of people are very happy with the update. Some people won't be happy with anything that costs any amount of money. I can't change that, and I'm tired of talking about it.

I understand you are frustrated about this. We are too. None of this would have happened if you stuck to the old licensing model. Most people were happy with that I assume.

You don't have to be insulting or condescending. Saying

Some people won't be happy with anything that costs any amount of money.

is talking down to the customer. I have been a happy-paying customer for nine years. I am not entitled to anything. I love your product, and I want to keep using it. I have also contributed by being active on the forums and recommending Dopus to people. I don't think being condescending is going to make matters better.

I think this thread has gone about as far as it needs to.

3 Likes