Quick Collapse of Folder Tree(s)

Is there a quick way of collapsing a directory tree and/or a complete device tree (including all open trees) at once?

The numpad - key can be used to collapse a branch + children. Only thing is, you have to collapse the parent of the branch, not the branch itself. (If you push numpad - twice, it'll do that. You'll then need to re-expand the selected item, e.g. with the right cursor key.)

If you just want to collapse everything except the path to the current folder, a quick way to do that is to close & re-open the tree, which you can do with a single button or hotkey, if you wish:

Set TREE=Toggle Set TREE=Toggle

There are also some options in Preferences which can make the tree automatically close branches that you are not using, which may help.

[quote="leo"]Set TREE=Toggle Set TREE=Toggle[/quote]

This works perfect for me, but only for single folder tree. If dual folder tree is activated, then only the first tree will be collapsed.

It would be nice, if active folder tree will be collapsed. Or I just don't know how to do it?

If you always use dual trees, turning this option on is the easiest way:

Preferences / Folder Tree / Options / Open second Folder Tree in dual display mode

If not, or if that doesn't do what you want, you can use this command:

Set TREE=Toggle,Left Set TREE=Toggle,Left Set TREE=Toggle,Right Set TREE=Toggle,Right

My laptop doesn't have a numlock key or even a numeric pad ability. Is there a way I can create a button to collapse all trees and branches, even if I'm not sitting on a root of a tree. I realized I will lose the selected folder, but that's part of what I want. I just want to collapse everything and start fresh, without having to move to the top and click on every open tree.

Laptops usually have numpads via the Fn key. e.g. Fn + P is numpad - on some laptops, as shown here.

But if you want to collapse everything and start fresh, the other suggestion of binding a hot key or toolbar button which toggles the tree off & back on should do that, too.

You can also use the command Go ROOT=collapse which will return you to the root of your current folder (e.g. C:) and collapse the tree under that branch.

1 Like

[quote="leo"]Laptops usually have numpads via the Fn key. e.g. Fn + P is numpad - on some laptops, as shown here.

But if you want to collapse everything and start fresh, the other suggestion of binding a hot key or toolbar button which toggles the tree off & back on should do that, too.[/quote]

My laptop doesn't have that. And I had tried using F8 to close and open the tree, but it didn't take collapse the tree I was sitting on.

But I will try looking into making a button with the command Go ROOT=collapse, as Jon suggested.