Real Player .ram files have thumbnails, but not .rm or .rv

This is somewhat odd. I installed FFDShow decoder for XP (as part of XP Codec Pack) and allowed Dopus to use it, thus enabling video thumbnails for almost every format.

I've noticed that .ram files have a thumbnail, while .rm and .rv files do not (which are also Real Player file extensions). I'm sure this is a small, easy fix, as you can rename a .rm or .rv file to .ram and it will show the thumbnail.

If this is a codec problem, let me know. I can't really test with explorer because explorer isn't showing any video thumbnails for some reason.

Do you get/not get thumbnails for the same files in Explorer?

I'm not sure if the thumbnails are being generated via Explorer ("Shell Thumbnail Extraction") or if it's the Opus Movie plugin that's making them.

If the Movie plugin is responsible then you might be able to fix it by adding .rm and .rv to its extension list. (Settings > Preferences - Plugins - Viewers) But .ram doesn't seem to be in the default list so it may not be the Movie plugin that's making the .ram thumbnails.

[quote="leo"]Do you get/not get thumbnails for the same files in Explorer?

I'm not sure if the thumbnails are being generated via Explorer ("Shell Thumbnail Extraction") or if it's the Opus Movie plugin that's making them.

If the Movie plugin is responsible then you might be able to fix it by adding .rm and .rv to its extension list. (Settings > Preferences - Plugins - Viewers) But .ram doesn't seem to be in the default list so it may not be the Movie plugin that's making the .ram thumbnails.[/quote]

Tried that with shell image extraction off and it didn't work. Currently I leave shell image extraction off and I still get thumbnails for wmv, avi, and yes, even ram. Like I said, it's probably a simple fix given you can rename a .rv or .rm to .ram and it works.

Do you get/not get thumbnails for the same files in Explorer?

Did you try changing the Movie plugin's list of extensions?

No thumbnails for any videos in Explorer

Yes, and it had no effect.

So no ideas? I went ahead and removed .rv, .ram, and .rm from the movie plugin configuration, so it's definitely not that. It's either something internal in Dopus or something in the registry somewhere. Anyone have any leads?

[ul][li]Disable the Movie plugin (Preferences - Plugins)[/li]
[li]Close any windows showing the files[/li]
[li]Clear the thumbnail cache (Preferences - Lister Display Modes - Thumbnails - Adjust Cache Settings)[/li]
[li]Open the folder in thumbnails mode[/li][/ul]
If you do that do you still see thumbnails for the files? If so that at least tells us they're not coming from the Movie plugin.

Setting PreceivedType=video for the file extensions in the registry may be the key, but if the Movie plugin is responsible for the .ram thumbnails then I'd expect it to generate them for the other extensions provided they were included in its list of extensions. (AFAIK having something in the list of extensions is like having PerceivedType=video in the registry, as far as the Movie plugin is concerned.)

It could be that whichever codecs and video splitters are being used to generate the thumbnails simply don't recognise the other extensions.

Fixed it.

The mime type in the Files menu for the rv and rm extensions were corrupted. By setting each of these mime types to video/x-pn-realvideo in Dopus, the thumbnails appeared.