Recent List Cleared

Hi Guys,

I have a button to show my recently accessed folders on a server. The command I use is:

Recent "\\servername\central data" SHOWICONS USEQUALKEYS NEWTAB=findexisting

On Friday the list was populated with all the folders I had accessed the previous day (maybe before as well but I'm not certain as I was only accessing a few folders all week) but when I looked this morning it was empty. I have read the help file and I can't see anything that says the list cleared after a set period of time.

Recent%20Files

What has happened?

Regards

Blueroly

Did you accidentally click on the Clear Recent List command? :slight_smile:

There's no automatic clearing function.

Hi Jon, highly unlikely as that was an issue in the past, but I have since edited the clear button with a warning to prevent this.

Clear%20List

@confirm:You are about to clear all recently files. Are you sure?|Yeah, get rid.|No, sod that.
Recent CLEAR

I will observe it for a week and report back next Tuesday.

Unless your anti-virus decided to spontaneously delete the file the data's stored in, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

That's a good point. It's a works machine so I have no control over it. They use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit for Business FWIW.

I presume that file is recent.osd as it gets updated when I browse to a new path, and currently only includes paths that I have accessed today, so the AV does seem the likely cause. I did connect to the company VPN over the weekend so maybe that as well?

It's happened again. This time I did not connect to the VPN so seems likely that it's the AV. Annoying but not the end of the world.

I've seen some antivirus be quite paranoid about XML config files for some reason.

It may be due to the config files containing file paths, or things like personal names, which triggers some kind of privacy guard in some cases.

But is anything left under /dopuslocaldata? Another possibility is that something is clearing the folder entirely. (In a work situation, that might be due to how roaming profiles are set up, but it wouldn't usually affect personal machines or non-enterprise environments.)

Hi Leo,

First of all, I should have mentioned that I am using a USB version of Opus at work. I will mention this in all my future posts just in case it makes a difference. I'm not really sure what a roaming profile is but I guess this doesn't apply to a USB version.

These are the XML files in /dopuslocaldata so the AV isn't deleting them all, but none of them contain any paths anyway:

Name Size Modified Location
alwaysactivekeys.xml 126 bytes 23/01/2018 16:43 Buttons
default.xml 210 bytes 23/01/2018 21:37 Formats
defaultkey.xml 80 bytes 05/09/2016 12:58 Rename Presets
defstylekey.xml 233 bytes 02/05/2011 13:04 ListerStyles
ISC_C_english-125-AlbumDoubleClick.xml 0 bytes 23/02/2014 12:18 Icon Cache
ISC_C_english_AlbumDoubleClick.xml 0 bytes 23/02/2014 12:18 Icon Cache
ISC_S_english-100-AlbumDoubleClick.xml 0 bytes 23/02/2014 12:18 Icon Cache
ISC_S_english-125-AlbumDoubleClick.xml 0 bytes 23/02/2014 12:18 Icon Cache
ISC_S_english-125-RegExColumns.xml 0 bytes 06/04/2019 19:05 Icon Cache
ISC_S_english_AlbumDoubleClick.xml 0 bytes 23/02/2014 12:18 Icon Cache
order.xml 213 bytes 01/04/2019 10:40 Layouts
programdata.xml 83 bytes 05/09/2016 12:58 Program State

I will observe recent.osd over the weekend when I won't accessing the central data server, as this may an issue. I did notice a strange path yesterday which I forgot to take a note of, but it was something like :er78gha73jgj565err57rfwef, similar to the paths you see when when plugging in a MTP device, something which I didn't do yesterday.

I dare not mention this issue to the IT team as they will probably suggest not using Opus, or even worse, blacklisting DOPUS.EXE meaning I will have to look for another job :laughing:

Here we go, that strange path has just appeared again in recent.osd. All the others are regular local and server paths.

<path>
	<dir>
		<pidl>?AAAAFAAfeEDwX2SBUBsQnwgAqgAvlU4AAA==</pidl>
	</dir>
</path>

That's the Recycle Bin (just paste it into the path field to find out where it leads).

I didn't want to do that just in case, but you're right. That's one less thing to worry about, thanks Jon :+1:

My customised right click menu has reverted back to the default now :fearful: What file are these located in?

Menu

That one is in /dopusdata/Buttons/Menus/ContextMenu.dop

Thanks Leo. Unfortunately my backup version does not work either. Maybe it's something else. I will have a play around and feedback tomorrow.

If you open the non-working file in a text editor, does it look truncated?

Also note that you may need to replace those menu files while Opus isn't running for it to pick up the replacements. (Not sure, but some of the config files are only read on startup.)

I have just realised that I got my initial post wrong. I am referring to the the context menu that appears when I right click on a file or folder rather than the lister background, which works fine.

Sorry about that.

I've replaced /dopusdata\filetypes\AllFilesystemObjects.oxr and all is good now.

Assuming the AV is the issue, why would it delete this file from my memory stick and not from my Dropbox backup folder which resides on my C: drive?

You'd have to ask your AV vendor. We can only guess. But it might make sense it is more paranoid about what it thinks is private data being written to a removable device rater than an internal one.

A more mundane possibly is the memory stick being removed without being ejected, or without shutting down Opus first, which could result in recently written config files being corrupted.

Thanks Leo, I'll contact the vendor.

The memory stick is generally 'never' removed although I may have accidentally removed it instead of my music one that is right next to it, although I don't recall doing so, and definitely not since this issue started.

Thankfully I had it backed it anyway :+1: