Register/set Picture Viewer as default on Windows 10?

Trying to set DOpus as the default image viewer. The "use internal picture viewer" option mostly works but I've noticed it only works when files are opened inside DOpus.

If an image is opened directly from the Desktop for example or in File Explorer, DOpus will not launch. The only solution I've found is to manually register each extension (jpg, png, bmp etc.) to open with "d8viewer.exe" which can be tedious, especially for the more obscure and hard to find image files and their respective extensions.

I've noticed that DOpus does not appear in the "Default apps" section of W10's Settings, so I assume it is not "properly" /fully registered to the OS as an image viewer. Any chance this might be rectified/improved? Thanks.

(just found this old FAQ entry which confirms this)

Using the Open With menu is the way to do it. Details are at the bottom of the FAQ you found.

That requires doing something for each type you want Opus to handle, but we think that makes more sense than a one-click option, since the Opus viewer and plugins can handle a huge number of formats where you would not want most of them to take over double-clicks.

e.g. You may want PNG, GIF, BMP and JPG to go to the viewer outside of Opus, but probably not PDF, MP4, MKV, AVI (etc.), MP3, WAV, HTML, XML.. Maybe not some image types like PSD, CR2, etc. too.

The Windows default-chooser isn't granular enough for that, so we leave it to Open With.

Plugins also complicate things as some cannot list all the types they handle up-front. We could ignore plugins and just take over the basic types, I guess, but that's only four file extensions so using Open With to set them up doesn't take long, and means you then know how to set up any additional (possibly handled via plugin) formats in the same way.

Ok thanks, not a big problem however the Windows chooser should be able to handle properly most image-only formats, as I can tell when other image-viewing programs take over the "Photo viewer" status. Several image file types are included (a lot more than 4-5), but not really such a massive list to cause problems.

MP4, WAV, MKV, HTML etc. are irrelevant and setting DOpus as a default photo viewer would not include these. They are covered by the Video/Music/Browser categories. I think it's up to each program to report to Windows what it will open/support by default or not. For example, MPC-HC has a nice section for this (Options/Player/Formats) and is also included in Windows "Default apps", as Music player and/or as Video player.

As for extensions that do not have a special program category assigned (such as PDF and the more unusual ones), they are normally handled per extension, as DOpus currently does for each image file type separately.

Also, if a user wants to override the Windows chooser for some image formats, it can easily be done with Open With as you describe.

Not sure what changed but I now see D8Viewer as an option in Default Apps/Photo viewer. Perhaps Windows puts it there automatically after enough related associations are manually set to a program. :thinking: