Remember Views/Sorts Per Folder

Hi there! Is there a way to have DOpus remember the view/sort on a per folder basis? Not so much of an issue at home, but at work it would be great if it retained the different ways I use/interact with different folders based not only on content, but number of files and what I am doing with those files.

It doesn't need to be advanced-set, it could be something that is retained the first time I set it.

Thanks!

lol... I appreciate the time I am sure it took to write up all of those documents. I am going to opt to not read them and just pretend it isn't possible. Thank you anyway!

Try making following button to individually save formats for given folder:

Set SAVEFORMAT=folder,replace

2 Likes

Nice :slight_smile: And I'm going to pretend you didn't ask, right?

I think that might've required you not replying, but yes... absolutely!

This worked, thanks!!!

TL;DR - In short, if it's not worth your time and effort, you won't get mine, OK?

I may have been a bit hasty. I apologize and would like to elaborate.

In fact, we are often one tick away from happiness, and we need this tick and this tick only - and the information is "hidden" in 20 pages of documentation, maybe on page 19 in the middle of the page. Because we don't know exactly what we're looking for, we can't find it. Repetition doesn't always work, and eventually our eyes get so tired that we don't recognize anything.

It would be very helpful if someone who knows both the documentation and the problem could quickly give us the information. This has happened to me several times, and I have been very happy about it.

But there is another side to this. When you really need to get to know the software better. To just try things out. To get to know the documentation. To appreciate the work of those who have already simplified and summarized the documentation for those who don't have that much time.

If you say it's nice that someone took the time to provide a summary and links to those summaries, but then say "I'm not going to read that", then your problem cannot be a pressing one.

(Not to mention the fact that you consider the time spent creating the summarized documentation was "wasted effort" - nobody reads it).

Just my 2 cents

I mean... I think that's all ok, lol. For me (and I think for most) there's a determination made frequently about the effort it takes to do XYZ and the value/need/importance/whatever of XYZ.

In this case, I was interested in something but determined that reading a very (imo) lengthy support document that also referenced the recommendation to read other lengthy support documents fell outside of the effort/reward balance that felt appropriate to me.

I don't think that's a weird or uncommon thing, and I'm sorry if you disagree... But... That's definitely ok! I'm definitely ok with you feeling your feelings.

It's the same thing with jobs I had in my youth. Sometimes I would decline a job offer if I didn't think the reward (pay) was in balance with the effort (duties performed). I always considered this calculation a normal part of life in a variety of areas of life.

As I said, I appreciate that there is a lot of documentation on DOpus. And I tried to search for a few words that I thought might lead me right to what I wanted to know... But that didn't happen. So the determination was that the perceived necessary effort ended up being more than the result was worth (to me).

I bought two licenses, I clearly like the software, but in the end some things are more important than others. As a result, some efforts will be warranted and others will not. That's a very personal calculation. I'm ok with you making yours and I hope you'll be ok with me making mine.

That said... Even if you're not ok with it, I'll still be doing just as I've always done.

I think you found the key yourself when you said it wasn't pressing.

I also don't think I ever said anything was wasted, so it's a weird move on your part to use the word... But hey! I'm good with you making your own choices in life (with a preference for you to not attribute those choices to me).

Have a lovely day!

You've spent more time typing about not wanting to read something than it would've taken to read it.

Had you read it, you would've learned a bunch of other useful things as well. This is willful ignorance, and a waste of your time and ours.

That's very silly and incorrect logic. Conversations are very easy, especially while I'm sitting on the couch having a morning beverage on a Saturday vs in the office working.

Not sure why you would think you can determine what and where my effort is best spent, but I guess this is a DOpus community culture thing, I'm seeing.

We all choose to be willfully ignorant of a lot of things in life. Whether it's repairing your car or home, building furniture, whatever.

We decide where and how to spend our own time. And that's ok. That's very very ok.

Feel free to not reply if this is a waste of your time, because your reply feels very silly to me. But also totally feel free to reply if YOU decide it's not a waste and it's worth your time.

Edit: Side note, I would suggest you are confused if you think my post was about not wanting to read.

???

1 Like

Haha, there's more than one post. You have to scroll a little.