Renaming zip files

Hi guys,
1/ is there any way to rename zip file by adding a number of files included?
eg file examplepack.zip contains 50 files, and I want to change the name of this file into examplepack_50.zip

2/ is there any way to alter the names of files within the zip by adding a zip name to it?
eg file examplepack.zip contains 50 files 0001-0050, I want to rename this file to: examplepack_0001, examplepack_0002, etc

thanks for any help

It could be done using a rename script. There isn't a simple built-in way to do that.

The {parent} code in the Rename dialog will insert the name of the parent folder, which also works with zip files.

For renaming lots of files within a Zip archive, it may be a lot quicker to extract the archive, rename everything, then re-zip it.

Thanks Leo,

It could be done using a rename script. There isn't a simple built-in way to do that.

Clear, I though there might be a solution like the tag ExifTool:Warning which works in Advanced Renamer.

The {parent} code in the Rename dialog will insert the name of the parent folder, which also works with zip files.

For renaming lots of files within a Zip archive, it may be a lot quicker to extract the archive, rename everything, then re-zip it.

the problem is i have a lot of archives, so need to check what would be quicker solution, but thanks for your tip anyway.

Aah, I've just realize that above works when I am inside the archive. This is obvious :slight_smile: I am looking for the kind of a batch process, when I can select bunch of archives and make this renaming from parent level

You could use Tools > Find Files to get a list of all the files in all the archives, then batch rename them. I suspect the renaming part will be really slow, though, since it'll update each archive once for each file (not just once for the whole archive), unfortunately.

clear. Thanks for your efforts anyway

That's how I would do it anyway to avoid corrupted archives.

1 Like