Replace a selected file with file from clipboard?

Hi! Is there a FAST and EASY method to just REPLACE a selected file with the content from the clipboard, e.g. an other file or a bitmap or a text?

This seems to be an easy demand, but I didn't find an answer yet..

I forgot to mention: The file which replaces the previous file should have the SAME name as the previous file.

Hello! :thumbsup:

I made a button like this:

Update/Note: This only works with text/image data in the clipboard. With a file in the clipboard it will delete the first selected file and paste the file in the clipboard with its original name.

Delete QUIET
Clipboard PASTE AS {filepath$}

You can take away "QUIET" if you want a warning before it replaces your file.

It only works on the first selected file, don't know why. But that is what I want anyway so it's good for me. I hope it's what you want too.

Here's a workaround for that, in case anyone wants a version which replaces all selected files:

Update/Note: This only works with text/image data in the clipboard. With a file in the clipboard it will delete all the selected files and paste the file in the clipboard in with its original name.

Delete QUIET dopusrt /cmd Clipboard PASTE AS {filepath$}

What would the desired behaviour be with multiple files anyway? If the clipboard has one file on it and you have 5 files selected, should all 5 end up the same?
What if the clipboard has two files on it, should the 5 destination files alternate between the first and second on the clipboard?

Seems kinda odd to me either way :slight_smile:

If you've got text or a bitmap data in the clipboard you can paste it over a bunch of files. (That was the case I tested, with simple text data in the clipboard.) Same if there's one file in the clipboard rather than data. (I didn't think to test that so I don't know if it works.)

It definitely stops making sense once you have multiple files in the clipboard, though.

Update: Both versions of the button only really work with text or bitmap data in the clipboard, not with a file in the clipboard.

This is WONDERFUL, THANK YOU!!!

This gives an incredible boost to my workflow, because now I can do with one click or with one keystroke what previously needed several cumbersome manual actions!

I like Directory Opus more and more!