Required versions of Directory Opus for Windows 95/98/ME/2000!

Thank you all for your help and support. The problem is solved.
The problem was solved very simply to such an extent that it made me laugh))).

I took my purchased certificate from the 12th version and inserted the registration data in the Directory Opus 8.2.2.5 ANSI and the program was activated!!!
Here is a screenshot confirming this:

2 Likes

That's what Jon was talking about, although I'm surprised it works as far back as version 8. Maybe 6 was the only Opus version for Windows that didn't use certificates, but we're talking about almost 20 years ago so it's hard to remember.

1 Like

Great news! That's why opus is an excellent piece of software :slight_smile:

I know I'm necroing this thread, but I thought it might be preferable to keep the conversations about this here, and to just demonstrate that there are still valid reasons to use software on ancient operating systems.

I have a couple of (yes, ancient) Windows 2000 virtual machines (I converted them from physical to virtual in the last 10 years or so) that I need to maintain just to keep being able to refer to some proprietary program's database of information I kept, and would not be cheap or easy to get all the data out in a format that made sense. All efforts are in order to keep everything as-is so that there's less chance of anything going wrong, losing data, or losing the capability of accessing that data. The proprietary software I have on them is complex to set up from scratch, and at this point I don't even know if these old versions of the software would work on a much newer Windows installation.

I've been trying to slowly optimize these VMs, which is itself a painfully slow process, in order to get them to work as well as possible. I've run into a snag and have need to use DOpus, likely via portable USB connected to these VMWare VMs, which I would create through an intermediary old Windows installation in a VM, to verify and potentially solve some remaining quirks I have - especially with one of the VMs.

Is v8.2.2.5 the last version that worked with Windows 2000?

Couldn't find v8, but have now.

I can only find as old as v9 elsewhere so far, and I hate to get into increasingly questionable source websites for this purpose since the data on these VMs is critical, although I have plenty of backups.

Found 8.2.2.5 after all, on a reputable enough and relied-on website.

I am sad that I can only go back as far as v10 with officially supplied installers. I'm glad I'll at least be able to use my v12 license with whatever old version I can.

Edit: Looks like it'll take 2.5-3 hours to download this ISO that has the installer for 8.2.2.5 on it, so yeah...a quicker download method would be nice. :grin:

Have you considered administering them over the network?

1 Like

Thanks, Jon.

These Windows 2000s installations in VMs are so slow, I feel that attempting things indirectly would be an added headache that would likely just add to the list of things needing solved. :slight_smile: They are even so fragile that I can't perform power on or off options on both VMs at the same time. I need to wait until one is fully done and auto-logged in before powering on the other.

I'm also avoiding installing anything on these VMs that I don't have to, hence why I'll use DOpus portable on them.

I've got them on the most recent VMWare virtual hardware revision (and VMWare Tools) that supported Windows 2000. I had briefly tried upgrading the VMs to the latest virtual hardware, which did wonders for their boot time (maybe 10-15 minutes insted of an hour or more each), but broke all actual ability to use the VMs.

So I restored them to my backups, which I had already spent many hours optimizing from their original configuration, and I'm doing everything I can until there's nothing else I can think of, and then I'll do yet another backup and attempt a much more slight virtual hardware upgrade just to see what happens, even though I know newer VMs didn't support 2000, so I don't expect much from that angle.

Edit: Can you tell me if v8.2.2.5 was the last version that supported Windows 2000?

I can't remember 16 years ago but searching the New Releases - Directory Opus Resource Centre area for "2000" shows Opus 9 still worked on Windows 2000, at least at release, and I can't find anything saying we dropped it before Opus 10.

1 Like

Oh, thank you! I should've thought to search that way - sometimes I do, but when I found this thread, I got tunnel-vision.

I've now PM'd another user who offered to provide a link to v9.5.7.0 just a few months ago in another thread here, to see if they can provide me with it.

Cheers and good to see you around.

9.5.6.0 is the latest version of 9 I have an installer for, so that's newer than mine. :smiley:

1 Like

Ah! The user had said in the other thread that they had 9.5.6.0 64-bit, but 9.5.7.0 32-bit (which is what I need). Is the installer you're referring to 64-bit? Was there ever a silently released update? I don't find any other reference to 9.5.7.0 except that other thread, where they, too, appear a little perplexed at their own lack of having the 9.5.7.0 64-bit version.

It's so long ago I can't remember.

1 Like

Back in the days how DOpus was shipping was so stylish. :slightly_smiling_face:
(No, not mine, i think i started with version 8)

4 Likes

I had it reversed in that post.
I have 32-bit 9.5.6.0 and 64-bit 9.5.7.0 .
I don't know what happened to 32-bit 9.5.7.0 .
As you don't have it either, perhaps 9.5.7.0 was a 64-bit bug fix ???
Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

Physical packaging? How quaint!

@David Thanks again!

I guess there were a couple of 5ΒΌ" floppys and a manual inside.

1 Like

I had 3.5" drives on my Amigas, although evidently 5.25" drives for those did exist, according to a quick search. I remember I was so happy when DOpus 6 was being developed for Windows XP.

from fred fish cd :slight_smile:
Zwischenablagebild (2)

there was never a 9.5.7.0
if there was, I would have that.
not even in english
our installer always had the german/english language

I also had the 4 box (go searching)
found 5 directly

I still carry it today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The mystery is now solved.
It was filed in the incorrect folder and renamed DOpusInstall_64_9.5.7.0.exe .
But it is different than the other Directory Opus 9 files in that folder. It has a different icon and a larger file size.
Wrong Filename

And in my Directory Opus 10 folder, 10.5.7.0 64-bit is missing .

1 Like

Notice that screenshot shows "File Version: 10.5.7.0", hence the confusion. I think the mystery is solved, it's actually 10.5.7.0 (I assume 64-bit). I was wondering about the identical sub-version numbers for the last 9.x and 10.x being the same.

Sadly, this may mean you don't have the last 64-bit 9.x version at all - not that it affects me. Although it appears @Nobmen has it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes