Required versions of Directory Opus for Windows 95/98/ME/2000!

Please provide links to download the latest versions of Directory Opus for Windows 95/98/ME/2000.
Preferred language: Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian.
How do I get a certificate for these versions if I bought a certificate for Directory Opus 12.18?

2 Likes

Those versions are no longer available.

poorly

Those versions of Windows are no longer available either. Why would you use them?

Windows 98
How do I get a certificate for these versions if I bought a certificate for Directory Opus 12.18?

I think you can sell older versions for older systems as an additional option to selling the main version.
Add this option and I will buy it in the future as a license (certificate) update.

Why would you do anything with Windows 98, though, other than run retro games or something that doesn't work in modern versions of Windows?

windows 98 is gold) I love this system. I don't know why, a system from my childhood?

check oldversions.com or a similar archiving site, though I don't know which version supports xp last.

You can use Opus 12 certificates in older versions of Opus, but really old versions didn't use certificates so that won't work. Seriously, just move on from Windows 98 :slight_smile:

The main system is Windows 7. But I'm a fan of Windows 98, so I use it too.
In General, it is strange that you refused to sell the old version. Very sorry. I need a certificate for Directory Opus 8.2.2.5 ANSI.
Directory Opus 8.2.2.5 ANSI I fortunately found where to download. It is happy.

Microsoft won't sell you a licence for Windows 98 but you find it strange we aren't interested in selling a licence to run Opus on Windows 98? :slight_smile:

It's not strange at all. Most software is the same. Ancient versions for obsolete OS are no longer sold or supported.

@t23111 not being able to buy old software is the norm nowadays, so I wouldn't expect any different. You might try your luck on ebay or posting your request on some forums that specialize in old software versions. Maybe someone would be willing to trade you for it?

However I don't know if it was based on license activation that you would still be able to activate it.

[upcoming general commentary]
Planned obsolescence is unfortunately a hard fact of modern software, especially with modern systems of internet based activation. The creators are more in control than ever than the users. Nothing modern can last more than a decade, as there is a cost to keeping an old online service/activation running.
If you really care about long term freedom of use, then I would suggest you use some open source tools that allow you this flexibility. You can still run many old versions of linux software fine today.
Or you can get in the habit of archiving the tools you use regularly via Virtual machines so that you can return to them at a time in the future if necessary.
None of my comments are meant for the wonderful team of Directory Opus! It is just a general observation.

I can understand your desire to use an old version on a familiar system. As I grow older, I realize I don't really want the latest bells and whistles, I don't want to jump through all the hoops to activate a new feature. I want the basic vanilla that I was used to, I guess it's a symptom of aging that you are no longer pursuing newness in things, but just want what it was.

For something similar to opus that can work on 98, (i.e. just a basic dual pane explorer) I think freecommander might work for you.
[end rant]

1 Like

Running the old versions of Windows is already a bit weird, but when it's done on old hardware it really turns into some kinky pleasure :wink:

If the old software is no longer supported, why does it require a key?
This is unfair.
This means that the developer can publish a shared key (for everyone) for old software that is no longer supported.
Given that few people use Windows 98, is this fair?

sells floppy disks and disks "Amiga" "Directory Opus" 3, 4, 5, but not higher

Same is true of Windows itself, Word, Photoshop, and just about everything.

Not really true. If you already own those old versions of Opus then they'll still work on the OS they were made for, and should work forever. But we aren't interested in supporting those old OS anymore (we'd have to install the old OS ourselves just to be able to run development tools capable of targeting them), nor with issuing new licences for those old versions. Not for just one person (no one else is asking for this). It would not be a good use of our time.

This is true. But there is one difference.
They can't be contacted. They're not going to listen to anyone.

Here the situation is different. There are contacts here. There is a forum here. Here you can talk to the developer directly.

I only mean the license.