Resize PDF view in viewer pane

I regularly struggle with the following problem.

When I want to rename of file, say a PDF file, and wish to add details of the contents to the filename, I have to

• open the file to take notice of the contents
  • close it - do the rename (e.g. adding parts to the name)
  • open the file again read other contents
  • close it again, add other contents

with some bad luck, when it involves number, you might have forgotten the exact numbers of sequence
you may then again re-open etc.
(Acrobat does not allow renaming when the file is open)

A workaround is to have the PDF in a preview panel of Opus at the bottom
Then again only a small part is displayed - I estimate about a quarter or a fifth - and I need to do a lot of scrolling
(resize buttons are greyed out).

Does anybody have an easier way?

Thanks

It may be down to the viewers you have for PDF files, but here at least I can get the preview panel to show what I like sizewise – the whole page, fit to Windows or whatever. I can even copy text from the preview and use that to rename files in Opus.

This behaviour at my end may be down to the fact that I have Quick View Plus installed. If you cannot do what you with Opus as is, or with some other free addon, perhaps buying Quick View Plus will achieve your goal.

I may be wrong, but I doubt if there is going to be any way of renaming a file when it is open in its "native" application.

Thanks Ken.

Indeed, maybe it may have something to do with QVP being installed, don't know.

Just to illustrate

=

You see those 'zoom-buttons' - they are greyed out.

With you, are they different then?

As long as it is in the preview panel, I can rename the files. Obviously not when they are in use by Acrobat.

=

Oh, forgot to ask,
Many files, such as image files (jpg, png, etc) they are well handled by Opus.

How does QVP integrate in Opus?
You have to launch it separately or what?
And if you are viewing files, I assume you can then rename them?
I guess so, but just for good order's sake...

Quick View Plus costs $49,-

regretfully I can't delete my earlier post
ignore it, found a thread on this matter on

sorry.

I think this icon changes how Adobe's PDF preview handler sizes the pages:

Right-clicking the viewer may also give you some options, although I'm not sure as I don't have Adobe Reader installed here.

From what I see that button toggles between 100% and more or less 'thumbnail', i.e. either too big or too small.

=

[quote="michaelkenward"]It may be down to the viewers you have for PDF files, but here at least I can get the preview panel to show what I like sizewise – the whole page, fit to Windows or whatever. I can even copy text from the preview and use that to rename files in Opus.

This behaviour at my end may be down to the fact that I have Quick View Plus installed. If you cannot do what you with Opus as is, or with some other free addon, perhaps buying Quick View Plus will achieve your goal.

I may be wrong, but I doubt if there is going to be any way of renaming a file when it is open in its "native" application.[/quote]

@ken
have you assigned QVP as a Opus viewer for other extensions as well?
e.g. adding png, doc, docx, xls etc. to ActiveX configuration.

or just pdf only?

thanks

[quote="opw62"]@ken
have you assigned QVP as a Opus viewer for other extensions as well?
e.g. adding png, doc, docx, xls etc. to ActiveX configuration.

or just pdf only?
[/quote]

It is set as the MultiView Viewer Plugin. At the top of the list of "movable" plugins.

The MultiView Plugin is mostly obsolete these days. Modern versions of QuickView Plus provide preview handlers, which Opus will use via the ActiveX + Preview + Office + Web plugin.

You can configure that plugin to change which preview handler (etc.) is used for different file types, if you have more than one which can handle the same type.

Also, with Adobe Reader installed, if you disable the Adobe preview handler in the top part of the list, the plugin will fall back on using Adobe's ActiveX viewer, which has more features (closer to the full Adobe Reader interface), although switching from one Adobe viewer to another also tends to replace one set of bugs with another. :slight_smile:

This is how it looks with PDF-XChange Viewer v.2.5.3x

=

I tried with untagging Adobe preview handler in the top part of the list and untagging PDF-XChange to see if the preview would
fall back to Adobe's ActiveX viewer (?)
Should it be listed there ?

=

Oh btw assumes it makes no difference but I have Acrobat XI Pro

=

The PDF-XChange viewer has lots of sizing options by the look of it, so why not use that?

To use the Adobe ActiveX control, you need to turn off (or remove .pdf from) any PDF viewers in the Preview Handlers section. Opus will then try using IE to view the file, which in turn should try the ActiveX control if it is installed for viewing PDFs in IE.

Many thanks for the tip!

With me, DISabling "Adobe PDF for Vista" as PDF viewer makes quite a difference.

[Enabled]

=

[Disabled]

=

Note: don't know if Acrobat Reader will get the same results.
Maybe it will roughly look the same, however, without a few options like the 'Fill & Sign', 'Comment'.

Oh.. just for good order's sake, one additional note: the Acrobat toolbar will not be displayed by default.
In my case, whilst hovering over the text in the preview panel, a small mini toolbar will pop-up with
(Save|Print|[+]|[-]|AcrobatLogo).
Clicking on the AcrobatLogo, will display the toolbar. Haven't found an option to have the toolbar displayed by default, i.e. as it is now, it should be activated with each and every pdf, regretfully so.

=