Right click file or folders causes crash

I followed the instructions on this subject in the FAQ, the only thing i could find was to remove notepad++ (first upgraded, no result and then removed it no result). It happens with all the files and all types of folders. I thought perhaps it had something to do with the mouse driver (new logitech mx master with new sofware called logitech options) removed that to but with no result. The problem is recent, i never had any issues in the last ten years, I use windows 8.1 , here are some random error messages

Thanks,

Micha

What did the debugging (DebugView) steps in the FAQ produce?

And were any crash dumps created?

the microsoft debug software froze, and was unable to save a file, if you need however this information I can give it another try

here are the dump filesdopus crash files.zip (287.9 KB)

The crash looks like it is caused by ACShredderShellExt.dll:

Try disabling or uninstalling that and see if the problem goes away. If it does, it's worth reporting to the authors of the related program.

Thanks Leo, It solved the problem, there was an upgrade from the program version 6 to 7 https://www.archicrypt.de/archicrypt_shredder/. I will inform the programmamaker.

Micha

here is the reply of the manufacturer

Dear Mr. Fuchs,

This will became a kind of a ping-pong game :slight_smile:

Who is responsible for that crash?

First of all, indeed, ArchiCrypt Shredder Shellextension takes Opus down. But why?

Start Windows Explorer or use Shredder integrated File Explorer and see, if there is a Shredder Shellextension (context menu, named ArchiCrypt
Shredder) . If yes, Shellextension is OK and fulfills all MS requirements. If there is no such context menu, there is a third participant.

A short-term solution is, to deactivate the Shredder Context Menu for Shellobjects. To do this, start shredder, change to settings - general and deactivate "In Windows Explorer integrieren".

We will try to investigate the problem by installing and checking Opus behavior!

Kind regards

Patric Remus

Since the crash is occurring in their DLL it makes sense for them to do the initial investigation. If they find a problem in our code we'll of course be happy to fix it.

the problem was on the side of archicrypt, he replaced the ACshredder.dll for the latest version (during the upgrade is was not replaced) and now everything works fine again, thanks for your help

The File ACShredderShell.dll is located in the installation path.

Mostly found here:

C:\Program Files\ArchiCrypt\ArchiCrypt Shredder 7

There you can see the file size for ACShredderShell.dll

Kind regards

Patric
Update 7.1.1 is released.

You should completely uninstall Shredder 7.x and reboot.

After rebooting ensure, that there is no longer a shredder context menu
in Opus.

The install newest version 7.1.1, see link:

https://download.archicrypt.de/Shredder.exe

BTW: Opus never ever had problems with Shredder Shellextension on tested
systems. Both, Shredder and Opus worked like a charm.

1 Like