Right click menu missing item

Hi,

I've noticed that one of my right click menu items (Take Ownership) is missing in dopus 11.19 x64 on Win7, probably introduced lately enough cuz think would have noticed.

You can try the reg file here tipsandtricksforum.com/thread-250.html, there's a remove reg file also.

Been using this for years. Seems it is listed on folders only, not files of any type.

In other programs like Windows explorer it's ok.

Thanks!

It appears OK here (checked with Opus 12.1 on Windows 7):

Make sure Preferences / Miscellaneous / Windows Integration / Hide Windows items on file context menus (shift overrides) is turned off, or try holding shift when you right-click to override it.

If you want that on to hide most items but also want this command in Opus, you could set up the same command via Settings > File Types. Please ask if you want that combination of settings and need help.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for quick response! The hide windows items option was already off.

Your screen shot shows a folder, is it ok with files too?

Rather not mess with Settings/File types, it shouldn't be necessary, maybe reset my settings? would it help?

Thanks

It works on some files here but not others. However, looking at what they are doing to the registry, I think it's not a good idea the way they are adding the command.

They are taking over the runas verb for some reason. I am not sure why, but possibly as a cheap way to make the command run elevated.

That verb is used for other things already (e.g. launching programs as other users, or launching them elevated via UAC), and I can't think of a good reason why they would not instead add a new verb or named context menu item instead of taking over runas, unless they didn't know a better way to get elevation. It also means filetypes that override what runas does will not get the Take Ownership menu item, so it will be missing from some file types even in Explorer.

The removal .reg file also deletes a bunch of things on the assumption nothing else is using them.

It's possible Opus is ignoring the runas verb on the "*" all files & folders class, but I'm not really inclined to investigate in detail as I think the way they are adding the command is not a good idea in the first place and will cause other problems.

If you want to add the same command as an Opus button or file type context menu item, this is what they are running (with the Opus-specific @admin line added so it elevates, without needing to trample on runas):

@admin
cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t

hmm isn't it strange then that it works on some files? I've tried many and only folders work here, so what file extensions work for you? would like to try here.

btw tried renaming /dopusdata folder and didn't help.

It worked on DLLs, since their .reg file explicitly adds a runas verb to DLLs (I don't know why), in addition to adding it to the * filetype (which Opus appears to be ignoring for the runas verb).

No reason to think it would help.

almost cross posted but your system handles that, thats nice :slight_smile: ya i saw the dll thing after.

will look into your suggestion then, rarely use this thing anyway, but needed it today.

Cheers, love dopus!

Hello, Seasons' greetings!

I found a solution and another problem.

The solution was to use HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*\shell\TO\shell\runas instead of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*\shell\runas

But the reason I'm dredging this up is because found a more serious issue with Dopus.

In the attached reg there's an AppliesTo for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas and it doesn't work in Dopus but works in Windows explorer.

My PC is win7 but tried it in win8.1 and win10 VMs, also a win7 VM.

In win7 there's no difference both dopus and explorer don't work, not sure if AppliesTo is new to win8 or if my win7s are broken, or if dopus caused it since dopus is installed in win7 vm also.

maybe you were aware of this?

Thanks!
newAdd_Take_Ownership_to_context_menu.zip (599 Bytes)

The implementation side of AppliesTo is undocumented by Microsoft and there is no public API for evaluating its complex query syntax against a file or folder, so we cannot support it.