Right-to-Left Override Character

I just learned about a special Unicode character--U+202E: Right-to-Left Override--that forces programs to display text in reverse order. The link for more information is: howtogeek.com/127154/how-hac ... xtensions/.

The article describes how this character can be used to disguise malicious files so they appear benign. They give the example of a file with the name "Awesome Song uploaded by [U+202e]3pm.SCR" that actually displays as "Awesome Song uploaded by RCS.mp3" so that one thinks they are playing an MP3 file while there are actually invoking a script file.

Does Directory Opus (version 10) automatically ignore this character?

If not, is there a way that I can instruct Directory Opus to ignore this character? (Preferably showing the character but ignoring the reversal?)

TIA--Origami1212

There isn't currently an option to ignore it, although it is something we've been thinking about.

However, you can configure Opus to display the file extensions in a separate column (either in addition to or instead of displaying them in the main Name column that's up to you) which can be used to mitigate the issue.

I agree with Origami1212 that it would be useful to have an option for Opus to ignore special Unicode characters when displaying filenames in listers. Ideally, the list would be user-definable; alternatively, the list could black out all zero-width unicode characters. Another option - for maximum flexibility - would be to allow users to install a regular expression search/replace sequence that would be executed on all filenames displayed in the listers. I prefer this latter option for its power and flexibility, and because I think it fits the ultra-customizable spirit of Opus throughout the program.

Of course, when pressing F2 to rename a file, or when copying the filename to the clipboard, or when referencing the filename with a {} placemarker, the original name should still be used, with the zero-width characters included.

What problems do other zero-width characters cause?

Well, to be truthful, I'm not sure offhand. But the Right-To-Left Override is not the only special character that can manipulate the order of the output. There's also a Right-to-Left-Mark (0x200F), and a Right-To-Left Embedding character (0x202B), and a Pop Directional Formatting char (0x202C), and all of these can potentially be used to trick the user to things in ways unexpected. As a general rule, zero-width characters are not there to display a glyph, but rather to manipulate the text from an external standpoint; hence, I suggested the idea to provide an option to block them all.

A post was split to a new topic: How to apply rename script to Unicode zero-width characters?