Save current tabs on exit

Currently evaluating. I do not want to save a fixed set of default tabs, about which I see a number of questions here. I do not want a temporary brief change, say of column widths, to mess up my default lister settings, so I have turned off automatic updating of my current lister. But if I am working with a set of tabs and then close the program, I absolutely do want my current tab set saved, ready to open later. How can I achieve this? It is very annoying to have to set them all up again.

You could set up a button Go TABGROUPSAVE "MyTempTabs" to save and a button Go TABGROUPLOAD "MyTempTabs" or Go TABGROUPLIST to open. The save button could also close the lister or exit Opus. Further automation is possible with scripting events.

As long as Preferences / Launching Opus / Startup / Open the Listers that were open when the program was last closed is turned on, if you exit the program using File > Exit Directory Opus (not just closing the window), you will get back what you had the next time you start Opus (as long as you run it on its own, rather than doing anything that would cause a window to open for a specific folder). That does not affect the Default Lister.

Scripts could possibly automate things as well, depending on exactly how you want things to work.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think one of these solutions will probably do the trick when I have a moment to look at them further!

I am back to this issue after nearly a month. I have purchased the product and like it, but this one feature is bugging me because it used to be so straightforward in a previous product I used. I looked into scripting and tried attaching a script to closing a lister to make the program exit (and thus try to invoke the suggestion from Leo), but found the help topics empty far too often when I wanted info on something that looked useful.

Here are my simple requirements. I rarely use more than one lister at a time and I only use the default lister that I have carefully configured, but I often open multiple tabs. I do not want a lister to open up when Windows starts. When I want to close a lister, I want to use the top-right X icon, not a menu. Every time I close a lister, I want the current set of tabs to be saved, and automatically to be restored on the next occasion when I open a lister by clicking on its icon. This logic should apply even if multiple listers are open, even though this will not happen often.

If this cannot be configured in standard options, then I am not frightened of writing a script, and might benefit from doing so, but the documentation is too sparse to enable me to do this. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

If you turn on Preferences / Launching Opus / Startup / Shutdown Directory Opus when the last Lister closes then Opus will exit completely when you close the Lister. Does that help?

Which icon are you clicking on to open listers?

Do you just want the default lister to be updated with the currently open tabs when you close a window? (How do you want that to work when there is more than one window open, and you close one after the other?)

(See Jon's reply above as well, which may be what you're looking for.)

Thanks for the further comments. Jon's suggestion does not work for me. I have that setting enabled, and I see in Process Explorer that Opus completely closes. I click the close icon with three tabs showing, and when I start again all my previously open tabs are gone and Opus opens my with default lister and with a single tab open. I happens to be the one I most often use (and it seems to be saved with the default lister), but it is not the ones I hoped to see restored.

Jon's idea of updating the default lister with the currently open tabs sounds workable, if it is possible to achieve without the risk of making any other changes to the lister. For example on one tab I may need to modify a column width temporarily, but I do not want this to affect my default lister column settings for the next time I open a new tab in a new lister. I open Opus with a standard Windows shortcut. I have tried this shortcut with and without an /autolister parameter but no difference. I would not mind updating the default lister each time I close a lister, when I close multiple open listers.

I accept that I may be trying too hard to replicate the way I have grown used to working over years. But I reckoned that Opus would have the tools to enable me to do so. I cannot go back to your competitor because for software testing purposes I have had to install a 32" 4k screen to replace one of my two 26" screens, and the older product does not survive its window being slid from one to the other. Opus handles this like magic!

Do you have Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister / Update Default Lister automatically when closing a Lister enabled?

No I did not, as I think I said earlier. Back when I first installed Opus I found that it was far to easy to destroy the column and other settings on my default lister, so I determined to carefully set everything once and avoid these problems. Now that I have got more used to Opus I have enabled automatic updates and that solves almost everything. I am more familiar with the program so I am less worried about messing up the settings. And I also have them backed up.

Thanks for the help. Excellent support!

1 Like