"Save format for all folders" not saving an enabled viewer pane

New to Directory Opus. So in Windows Explorer, when we get our window setup how we like...we can go to folder options and set it as the default for all folders.

That's what I'm trying to do with Directory Opus.

I setup a window in it how I liked (note the activated "Viewer Pane"):

Then I went to "Folder > Folder Options > Save the current folder format > Save format for all folders".

But whenever I open a new window...it doesn't remember that I want an activated "Viewer Pane". It always opens folders with only the activated metadata pane.

The viewer pane is not part of a folder's format. To combine the two (and more), use a Layout or Style via Preferences / Layouts and Styles.

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Prefs/Layouts.htm
https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Prefs/Styles1.htm

Well, from what I'm reading a "Layout" is tied to a specific windows and locations. That's not what I want.

So I'm playing around with "Styles". I created one with that metadata and viewer pane combination I liked. I also disabled its internal "Folder" option so it wouldn't be tied to a specific location.

But how can I set that style to be the default for all windows I open?
Right now I'm having to apply it manually to every window.

1 Like

Thanks man! Setting the style, and pressing that button did the trick.
Now all the folders I open have the same layout.

Though I kind of feel like that's way too many steps and hurdles to simply set a default view. I can still appreciate that experts would have a need for it to be so granular...but speaking as a beginner, wish it was more simpler.

If you just want to change which panels are turned on by default, it's one step, Settings > Set as Default Lister.

(In fact, it's zero steps out of the box: Just close the window and it will save that as the new default lister, unless that has been turned off.)

1 Like

Good to hear. I think I did initially mess around with the program when I first got it - looking for a windows like "Folder Options > Save for all" setting...and that probably affected what you're referring to as the "zero steps" default behavior.