Save searched folders

Hello,
very often I want to search the folders "documents", "desktop", and "downloads". I do not want to search the full username folder as this takes much longer and yields unwanted results from settings etc. Is there a way to quickly perform a search of these three folders? I tried saving the search, but that will not save the searched folders. Every time I search a different folder, the 3 folders have to be added manually again which is annoying. I also wanted to add more folders to that list, so it would be 6 or 7 folders in various places on the drive to search, as my typical search areas -- but adding these 7 folders would take a long time for every search that has previously cleared these preferred folders.

did I miss some feature, or is this impossible?

An easy job for the Find command, e.g.:

Find *.doc IN /mydocuments /desktop /downloads

More here:

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Find.htm

1 Like

Hello, thank you for your reply and suggestion.

However this does not really solve the problem.

I think it is not unusual that users (like myself..) will want to regularly search a whole bunch of locations (and always the same locations, but in all kinds of spots on the computer) vor various things, like for example text files that contain a certain piece of information etc. --- simply wanting to search for some document etc that one cannot find / is not where expected, and then one wants to search the whole computer but EXCLUDING all locations where it obvious is not, such as program folders etc.pp. --- which otherwise will cause loads of unwanted search results (e.g. if you search for "txt" and contents "windows", you will get a lot of undesired results....

The solution does not really solve the problem --- what would be needed is an interface that retains the desired folders list to be searched, but gives all the options to do even advances searches. As solution would be if the user could save groups of folders as search locations, for example. I guess perhaps advanced users could use some trick by using hard links / junctions / .... and put them into some folder that is then searched and that will then redirect to the desired folders, but I think this is too advanced and can also lead to undesired results / problems.

So.... I would like to make a feature request for this, in the hopes that you will find this a really helpful feature?

Thanks!