Save system lister new default settings?

When set DOpus to be used for system folders (in this example case, the downloaded files folder) a new lister is opened when the system opens this folder. If I reset its position, size and explorer file view column widths (I've set it to non-auto size), I cannot figure out how to save these defaults. They are not saved as part of the standard save defaults and, though I'm a a DOpus newbie, I think I've tried about everything; I do not see this in the discussion pages. Thanks!

l have the same problem which l just posted l cannot keep my settings no mater what l do

For the window size and position, use Settings -> Set As Default Lister and look at the Default Lister positioning options under Settings -> Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister.

For the folder format (view mode, columns, etc.), see the Folder Format FAQs, starting with Folder Formats: Quick Guide. It links to the other two FAQs at the top.

(I just finished re-writing that FAQ and the other two, by the way.)

Thank you Leo. However, I do not have a problem setting and saving the default lister properties (it did take a while to figure out all of the details for doing that -- the right click to "Update" the various view options -- Filmstrip, Images, etc.-- was the final discovery). My problem is with the system folder lister, which is separate from the default lister. Yes, it can be made the default and then saved, but then I lose the saved properties of the lister that I do really want to be the default. Hope that helps.

I'm not sure what you mean by "system folder lister".

Please explain, exactly:

[ul][li]What you are clicking on to open the window.
[/li]
[li]What happens.
[/li]
[li]What you want to happen instead.[/li][/ul]

This is new lister window is opened up either 1) automatically after saving a downloaded file, or 2) searching programs and files in the start menu for "downloads" and selecting the downloads folder that way. In contrast to selecting "my computer", which opens a default placed and sized window (on the right side of the screen in my setup), this "downloads lister" pops up on the left side of the screen, which is OK, except that I cannot figure out how to save a reconfigured size. column properties, etc.

Sorry this was hard to explain and thanks again.

I understand it l am trying to do same thing in a way l want all my folders sub details and column positioning, but trying to follow Folder Formats: Quick Guide it says to go to click Save and select For All Folders + Layouts & Folder Tabs, but l do not have that in mine l only have the first 3 options (For this folder, for this folder and sub folders, for all folders only) not the extra 3 in the pic, is there a setting to turn on the last 3 options, as if l am in the folder settings column with all that then l go to other folders they all change, but when l go back to the one l set it on its the only one thats right.

This was added in Beta 10.0.0.4. We are now at 10.0.1.6. You should update DOpus to the newest Version.

[quote="petersr"]This is new lister window is opened up either 1) automatically after saving a downloaded file, or 2) searching programs and files in the start menu for "downloads" and selecting the downloads folder that way. In contrast to selecting "my computer", which opens a default placed and sized window (on the right side of the screen in my setup), this "downloads lister" pops up on the left side of the screen, which is OK, except that I cannot figure out how to save a reconfigured size. column properties, etc.

Sorry this was hard to explain and thanks again.[/quote]

Is Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister / Always in the same position turned on?

Is Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister / Always in the same position turned on?

Leo, I've tried it both on and off - does not seem to make a difference...

Keep that setting turned on (at least for now).

Is it definitely an Opus window that's opening for both Computer and Downloads?

What happens if you launch the Computer folder via the start menu, the same way you're launching the Downloads folder?

Could you make a screenshot (or two) showing the results of launching each folder? (Shrink them down if you want; they don't need to be huge, I'm just trying to understand where the windows are opening on the screen in case it provides a hint/idea about what might be happening.)

Yes, definitely DOpus, as the screenshots should show. Launching "Computer" from the start menu (after launching "Downloads") opened a third instance (lister) of DOpus, and though it's in the same place and size as the Downloads Lister, the column widths are yet different. And, I've tried to remove the attributes column and save it (which works fine for the default) but to no avail.

Download Lister (left side, which is actually OK, though I didn't tell it where to be located) and Default (right side, which is where I want it):

Computer Lister too (I selected to display the D Drive to make it comparable to the above):

Thanks for your patience!

I think I know what's happening.

If a window is opened by double-clicking a folder (or opening them via the start menu, etc.), and there is already a window in exactly the same position, then the new window will be shifted down and to the right slightly so the two windows aren't stacked on top of each other:

If the first window is at the bottom-right of the screen, as in your case, there's nowhere to shift the new window, so it wraps around to the top-left of the screen.

From your screenshots, it looks like you always want Opus to be using the right half of the screen, and aren't using lots of overlapping Opus windows at once. If that's the case, you might want to turn on Preferences / Launching Opus / Explorer Replacement / Open external folders in a new tab so that double-clicking folders (etc.) re-uses the existing window by creating a tab in it, instead of creating a new window.

Thanks Leo, that's interesting. However, opening the new window on the left is not a problem - i actually like that. The problem is that there does not seem to be a way to make it's folder column widths behave (save in preferred style)! In fact, as you can see in my example, opening two of these new windows led to two different column sizes!

The folder formats FAQs I linked to explain how to fix that.

Yes, you are right, I'd overlooked the FAQ. All's well now. Thanks again for your help!