Saved view (or some other feature?) related issue

Hi I am not sure what this issue is really about and where it should go, it is minor but it has been bugging me for a while now. The issue is related to how saved view is being applied.

Let's say I have a folder like this:
\\NAS\RootFolderA\
This is a folder that things are regularly updated, so I put it to default to order by last modified descending order.
However for things within this folder, like \\NAS\RootFolderA\AAA\, I would like the content to do alphabetical ordered like normal.

The problem is, such configuration does not apply correctly. Every time upon initial launching of the Lister, the view on \\NAS\RootFolderA\ is going to be applied as correctly, last modified descending order. But every folder under it would follow the same ordering too. At this time, I can change one of the inner folder's view to follow alphabetical ordering, and it would be good for all sub folders, while the root folder would have its correct view too.

This is a minor issue as I can fix it by changing a folder's view, but it always come back so it is a bit annoying. I also remember quite some time ago the behavior is correct that it will remember the difference in views and don't require me to manually set the view every time. However I tried to mess with configuration a bit but I cannot get it to work.

Could you help provide some help on how to avoid this minor annoyance?

Thanks!

Save a Path format for \\NAS\RootFolderA that doesn't match sub-folders and sorts by date.

That should actually be all you need to do if your default format sorts alphabetically.

Remember to close the window and open a new one to test changes, since ad-hoc changes to formats can be kept when changing folders in the same window you made the change.

If you want to be more explicit about having the sub-folders sorted alphabetically (or if your default format doesn't sort them that way), save a second Wildcard format for \\NAS\RootFolderA\* that sorts them alphabetically.

Makes sense, but how do I do that? Where can I input a folder path for saving the view default?

Actually I've found the menu and it worked! Thank you Leo!

Hi @Leo,

Sorry but I have to revive this thread. The solution worked - but not upon first start after reboot. I noticed this recently (I rarely reboot my computer) and confirmed that upon the first run of DirectoryOpus, the issue mentioned in this thread still occurs. I will need to set it again and it works. Upon consequent run of DirectoryOpus the issue won't occur again.

What can I do to collect some debug information for you to look into this?

Do you mean the initial window that opens? You may have that set to override the normal folder format.

Are you opening the Default Lister, or a Layout, or Folder Tab Groups, or something else? They each have options to use the normal folder format or override it with a custom one specific to the saved state at the time it was saved.

I mean the Default Lister.

I have a DirectoryOpus shortcut on my desktop that I ran to open the lister. I have my target folder in its remembered tabs. Every time after reboot, when I fire up the shortcut on my desktop, I notice the target folder will have the wrong ordering - alphabetical, while all inner folders are alphabetical too, and when I go back to the folder it is still alphabetical. I can set it back to correct ordering, and close the lister. And then every follow up click on the shortcut will be correct.

You may need to turn on Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister / Ignore folder format of Default Lister.

Failing that, hovering the mouse over the format lock icon (hover, don't click) will tell you where the current format comes from. More detail in the two folder formats FAQs.

Hi @Leo , starting from 12.28 the above solution no longer works. Could you help me again?

It should still work.

What is happening exactly?

Hi,

The issue returned to the original state as in this thread. That upon initial launching of DirectoryOpus, view of folder will be reverted to default. And once I've adjusted it, it will keep the correct view until next reboot.

I've tried to reapply the fix and it did not work.

Which method are you using to open the window after the reboot?

What settings do you have under Default Lister and the other pages under Launching Opus?

Just like before, start with start menu link created by installer. Default is order by name and I do already have a Path Format for this folder to order by last modified.

So you're still using a desktop shortcut to open the window?

What does the shortcut run?

Please post screenshots of the pages below Preferences / Launching Opus.

(With the Preferences window active, push Alt+PrtScrn to put a screenshot of it into the clipboard, then click on the post editor here at the forum and push Ctrl+V to paste the screenshot into your reply.)

Here you go:

Screenshot 2022-06-08 003637
Screenshot 2022-06-08 003647

Screenshot 2022-06-08 003707

You missed these questions:

Another thing to check: After opening the window, put the mouse over the padlock icon on the status bar. Don't click, just hover over it. It should tell you where the current folder format came from. What does it say?

Hi Leo I kind of think this is a different issue now. Last time I find that the lock says "Default Format" and thought it is because I have not set the format, so I went to settings but found there is a correct folder format. Without thinking I just removed it and did it again and it seems to be resolved. Because I don't restart very often, so I did not find any issue with it for a few weeks.
However starting this week I noticed something different - that sometimes when I open Directory Opus for the first time after reboot, the lock will say "Default Format" and use the default. But I just click refresh and it becomes the path specific format and looks correct to me. I am sure this is the same path. And this issue does not happen all the time, it is about once in three reboots.

When you launch Opus it may re-open windows saved the last time you closed it.

Or it may be configured to open a layout, or the default lister, either of which could be set to override the folder's normal formats. There are Preferences options to change both. But first look under Preferences / Launching Opus to see what is happening for the method you're using to start Opus.

Yes I do have open from last state enabled all the time. But I also always start from start menu link (mentioned above, a plain link to the app), and the folder is one of my top frequently used folder so when the format is wrong I will make sure it is corrected. I've almost never updated So I assume the saved state should always be correct?
Also I actually just ran into this issue again, and saw the padlock says "Unknown!" instead of default.