Saving ALL changes

What settings are saved (or not saved - whichever is easier) when using the Settings/backup? If I want to be sure that every possible customization and setting is saved (listers/preferences/toolbars/buttons/etc.) what do I need to do OTHER than using the Settings/Backup. Assume that my computer crashes and I have to reinstall Dopus. I download a copy of Dopus from GPSoft. I now restore using my latest OCB file. Will everything I did previously to customize now be back? I added buttons, changed toolbars, added favorites, customized columns for different folders, etc.

Everything that's part of your Opus config and that actually matters (i.e. not things like the thumbnail cache, which can be re-generated and is huge) should be backed up, if you turn on all the options.

The config backup .OCB files can be renamed to .zip if you want to look inside them to check what they do and don't include and compare it to the /dopusdata /dopuslocaldata and /dopusglobaldata content. These two FAQs have some more details:

The manual also describes some of what is backed up by the different options: gpsoft.com.au/help/opus11/in ... rences.htm

Leo, I read each of the links you provided. While very helpful, they did not address the specific issue that prompted me to ask this question. When going to settings/customize toolbars and making changes in any of the tabs or options (like the font of the File Display toolbar) are those items saved via the backup. I did not find that specifically in the above links. If they were in there I did not understand that toolbar customization was included. I did see reference to the toolbar. It does say that customizations to toolbars are stored elsewhere but not where that is or if they are backed up.

As Leo said, "Everything that's part of your Opus config and that actually matters ... should be backed up, if you turn on all the options." This includes toolbars.

If you rename a config file to ZIP, as Leo suggested, you can find toolbars.oxc in the ConfigFiles folder, which is presumably the file you're looking for.

abr, I did that and did not see the customization I made to the file display toolbar (changed font size to 11). I tried the toolbars.oxc and there was nothing in there about font size. I tried other files that seemed like they may be relevant. Short of looking at every file in the "zip", and maybe missing it even then, I was hoping someone would know the answer. I imagine others would like to know (be sure) that all changes are saved. Based on my experience to date with Dopus, I am fairly confident that the change is backed up somewhere, but the side of me that likes to know for sure, still wants to be satisfied.

Each toolbar is stored in a separate file, in the Buttons folder.

You may find your changes in C:\ProgramData\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\ConfigFiles\prefs.oxc

Toolbars are stored where Jon said, in the Buttons folder. That includes font settings for specific toolbars.

The prefs.oxc file also stores font settings, but only the global ones, not the toolbar specific ones.

Both things are stored in the config backup.

Thanks, Jon and Leo. I found this line in "File Display.dop" in the Buttons folder:

The size I set is 11 point. I am not aware of the ability to use negative numbers in the font size. Is the -15 equivalent to 11 point?

That's the way Windows stores font sizes.

If it wasn't right, the font size would be wrong when the toolbar was reloaded.

That makes sense! :smiley:

The research I did online was probably related to CSS and HTML. Why did I think MS would follow any established standards? :blush: