Scaling issue multiple monitors font blurry

Hi,

I'm evaluating the 12 version but facing issues with scaling. When I connect my XPS13 (9350) with an external monitor the font looks blurry on laptop screen, while it looks ok on external monitor (main display). Windows 10 scaling on laptop screen is set to 150%, while on external monitor it's set to 100%. Both are at 1920x1080 resolution.
What can be done to fix this?

You need to reboot Windows for the DPI scaling to change. (You'll see parts of the OS itself need this as well; for example, icons on the desktop will be the wrong size until you reboot.

Mixing different DPIs on different monitors also introduces several OS-level bugs as well as other complications, but generally speaking you probably just need to reboot after connecting the monitor if it is set to a different DPI.

This assumes it is made the primary monitor, which is the one that determines system DPI. You generally always want the monitor set to the highest DPI scaling to be the primary monitor, so everything is rendered at a higher resolution and scaled down for some monitors, rather than vice versa.

Note that none of this is specific to Opus; it's just how DPI scaling works in Windows. Also note that Opus is DPI-aware but not multi-monitor-DPI-aware (very few things are), as the API for that just isn't ready yet. This means Opus will scale to the "system DPI" which can be any DPI that you set, but is the same across all displays. (This is different to apps which are not DPI-aware at all, which render at 96 DPI / 100% scaling and then get scaled to the system DPI or monitor DPI.)

Windows itself isn't ready for multi-monitor-DPI, in our opinion, given all the bugs that mixing monitors at different DPIs introduces into the OS itself. High DPI is generally working well now (with a few issues still remaining in the OS itself), but Microsoft's support of mixed DPIs is still very much evolving.

Could I get an update on the current status of this - as this appears to still be an issue?

We have a windows 10 machine with two monitors, both 27", one 2560 by 1440 and the other 3840 by 2160. What would be the best way to set this up, from the Opus perspective?

TBH in late 2022, I am surprised to see fuzzy text issues in Opus - I note that other apps, like browsers, adapt fine to the mixed DPI environment, with sharp text on both screens. I know it's a buggy area with Windows, but it feels like most apps have got to the point where they have embraced multi DPI support as a necessary thing...

Assuming the higher res monitor is also the one with the higher scaling factor, make sure it’s the primary monitor, and then reboot. Opus will render to that monitor’s scaling factor, and scaled down when shown on the other.

Yep, that's where I landed through experimentation, but the result is still fuzzy text on the second monitor, which is definitely not ideal. Is it really the case in 2022 that Windows is still stuffed in this area? It can't be completely stuff as a bunch of other apps do display sharply on both...