Scroll lock feature request

Hi there
Consider an open lister with many folders or files in it.
More files/folders than can be viewed on the lister so that there is a scroll bar at the RHS of the lister.
Consider the top folder/file is highlighted (selected).
Now you press the down arrow.
When you do this the folder/file selection move down one per keystroke, or rapidly downwards if you hold the down arrow key down.
you can of course move the selection upwards by striking the up arrow key in the same manner.

The keystokes Ctrl-up, Ctrl-down, Shift-up and Shift-down have some interesting and useful looking features.
You can select a set of individual files/folders or a range.

I am interested in a scroll lock facility in this situation.
So if a folder is halfway down the lister, with a scroll lock you could then....well you all know what scroll lock is.
Further, and ideally, I would be able to reporgram the Ctrl-up and Ctrl-down keystrokes so that this activates scroll lock whilst the Ctrl key is depressed.

Make sense?
Hope so! Optus rocks man!!!!

Pretend we're stupid and don't know what scroll lock is, and explain it for us :slight_smile:

Really? Open MS Excel and hit Scroll Lock on your keyboard then navigate around with the arrow keys.
In effect you are scrolling just with KB not mouse....

You could use AutoHotkey to set up keys that do the same thing as the mouse wheel, which will then work in all programs.

lifehacker.com/5626708/use-autoh ... y-keyboard

superuser.com/a/316980

I'm not sure my keyboard even has a Scroll Lock!

So basically it would scroll the content and leave the focus item (the highlighted one) unchanged?

Why would you want configurable keystrokes for it, rather than just using the (putative) Scroll Lock key?

Thank you Jon....illuminating questions
Yes it would scroll the content and leave the focus item unchanged. I might want to move the focus item to the top of the lister for instance;
Prefer configurable keystrokes as it is much easier & quicker than using the dedicated Scroll lock key. Also as you suggest finding the scroll lock key on a laptop is a mission. Often I might want to scroll lock for just a few strokes, 5-10 say, it is much quicker to use Ctrl-Up or Ctrl-down in that situation.

One of the (many) great strengths of Dir Opus is it's ability to be configured for keyboard control. I hate a mouse. More specifically I hate the redundancy that goes with moving my hand from my keyboard to my mouse and back. This becomes important (for me) when I am doing repetitive work. I then want to automate, speed up, improve efficiency etc. This is where I am coming from.....

Again thanks for the questions. Allows other readers to better understand...

Thanks for the suggestion and the explanation!

O Directory Opus comrades
Finally something I want Opus to do that I cannot seem to find a way.
Does anyone think there is scope for a scripted solution with this one?
Has to be with keystrokes....mouse wont do!
:slight_smile:

Greetings Opi (Pronounce oh pie)
I am wondering if there is any reason to think this feature could be scripted in contemporary Opus?
I looked through the objects in the scripting reference but nothing jumps out at me...
Appreciate the autohotkey workaround unforunatley will not work in my setup..long story.

With thanks for any reply...

The Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced [Behavior]: scroll_lock option was added a while ago which fulfills this request I think.