Search engine using FIND QUERY keeps reverting back to Windows search

I just wondered, why displaying a list of three star ratings for my images seemed to take hours. Now i found, that i can't use Everything, because the engine will change back to the slow Windows search, once i start it. Would it be possible, to go back to some older version, while this isn't fixed?

Edit: it seems only to happen with my Find QUERY Rating buttons. Using the normal search field or key doesn't change the engine. I have corrected the topic.

What's the full command?

Find QUERY Bewertung:***

You have no QUERYENGINE argument, so it's going to use whichever search engine was used last.

Ok, thanks for the tip. But anyway, it used to work with the previous versions the way it was.

Maybe you hadn't changed the search engine before now.

Well, i changed it back several times, and it still jumps back to Windows search. What would be the proper syntax for my short button codes?

Either QUERYENGINE=everything or QUERYENGINE=everythingglobal, depending on what you want.

The program can help you find the right parameters:

Sorry, i'm stuck here. Can't figure out the full command.

Find Query QUERYENGINE=everythingglobal Bewertung:***

doesn't find anything, nor does

Find QUERYENGINE=everythingglobal Bewertung:***

There are no *** to specify the rating you're searching for there like there was in your earlier command.

Not sure if that's the command you're running or if it's being eaten by the forum. Use code blocks to avoid the forum eating things if that is the problem.

When editing posts, there's a link above the editor to Editing & Formatting Tips which explains code blocks.

I have fixed it, sorry. The second command just opens the filter panel. There definitely had to be some changes in the code, since it worked in the previous versions.

FWIW, I have been using DO13 since the first beta, and in any version those 2 commands would work ( neither would that search in Everything).
QUERY must always be present and be the last argument.
Everything 1.5 supports searching by rating, but (at least that I know of) it does not have the option to use localized arguments (Bewertung), nor does it support * meaning a star. It uses numbers.

1 Like

Thanks errante, i wasn't really sure why the populating of the rating column stalled. I only saw the spinning circle for several minutes, but for some reason it works again. But now i'm still struggling with the correct syntax, since

FIND QUERY RECURSE=no Bewertung:***

doesn't show any results, containing the RECURSE=no bit. I try to make collections containing only rated images from the top level, but regardless where i place RECURSE=no, it won't work.

QUERY has to be the last argument:

FIND RECURSE=no QUERY Bewertung:***

But you probably also want to specify a QUERYENGINE:

FIND RECURSE=no QUERYENGINE=everything QUERY Bewertung:***

I'm using everything rather than everythingglobal, as it doesn't make sense to specify RECURSE=no with a global search.

I don't know if Everything will understand what Bewertung:*** means, though. I'm not familiar with how Everything searches for ratings.

1 Like

Thanks Leo, now it works. But i hade to leave out Queryengine=everything, it doesn't understand the stars concept. But the recurse part works, which is great.

This should work for Everything :

@nofilenamequoting
Find QUERYENGINE=everything SHOWRESULTS=dest QUERY parent:"{sourcepath}" rating:>0

Given that you're unfamiliar with the syntax in Everything, perhaps you haven't indexed that property in the folder you want to search? If not, it will also take time to find the results. And it seems that you're using Windows Search in that last command. (which is slower IMO).
You can try with DOpus own search too :

Find IN {sourcepath} RECURSE=no SHOWRESULTS=dest FILTERDEF = return rating > 0;

A more interactive approach can be find here: (Once the column finishes populating will be faster)

1 Like

So you were probably never using Everything for this search at all.

Yes. After it felt slow, and i set it to ETglobal, i had the impression i would have used it, but actually it immediately changed back to the standard Windows search, and that's why i assumed it was some kind of weird bug. Only thing, if i may sneak it into this thread, since it is closely related to my initial question,
the RECURSE=no seems to be letting some subfolders slip through, as for example here:

Code used:

FIND RECURSE=no QUERY Bewertung:****

It's possible RECURSE=no only works when Opus itself is doing the search. But there's probably a way to do the same thing with the other search engines, assuming they each have their own syntax for specifying search depth.

Yes, that would explain it. Setting it to use the Opus search also goes back to Windows search. Well, in that case i have to sift through the list by hand. Except we have some column that would sort by path length, which i don't think we do.

Oh yeah, there is a path lenght column. Only i have never used it before! :+1: