Search The Contents Of Files

Hi.

I am trying to search the contents of files within a folder and sub-folders.
In particular, it is in a .txt file.

I have typed the word into the "containing text" field, then I have selected File Type > Text Document, but it is not working for me.

Am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

Please upload a screenshot showing how the rest of the find panel is configured.

If you go to Settings / File Types, what file extensions are listed for the Text Document file type?

These are the file extensions.

DIZ, LOG, NFO, TXT.

Could we have a copy of one of the text files that should contain the word?

Please zip it and attach it either here or in a private message.

I can, but as far as I know, it doesn't even search the contents of files even when I do a complete search without limiting it to a file type. I usually stop it doing a complete search, because it takes so long, that's why I tried limiting it to a file type.

It definitely works here.

Does the search actually complete, or does it get stuck forever?

• If it gets stuck, something has installed an IFilter on your system which is crashing or getting into an endless loop.

You can use this tool to see which IFilters are installed on your system and try disabling them to work out which one is causing the problem (needs a reboot after making changes, according to the page): http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_filter_view.html

Alternatively, if you generate a Task Manager dump we may be able to use that to tell you which component is causing the problem.

• If it doesn't get stuck forever, please send us the file you think should match but isn't matching so we can have a look at it.

Thanks Leo.

I have used NirSoft SearchFilterView as you suggested.
I have 3 instances of query.dll.
The first description is Null Filter, the second and third description is Plain Text Filter.

The first instance doesn't contain a .txt file, but the second one pictured does contain a .txt file.
The third one is blank.

@Protocol did you ever solve this problem? @Leo, any further response regarding @Protocol's last response? Long enough ago, I know. I've got the same problem searching contents of text files for one word, and a nearly identical result using SearchFilterView. I may be willing to start my own thread about it if necessary but just thought this would be a good place to start.

Thank you!

Try the things in my last reply and send us the files or snapshot if you want us to look into them.