Serious crash when opening a lister in DOpus 11

Hi,

I've just upgraded to DOpus 11 and I can't open any lister without DOpus crashing on me :frowning:.

Please open the attachment to see the errors I get. These pop up immediately after opening a lister. :imp:

I need this fixed 'yesterday' because this is my development machine and I can hardly work like this.

Greetings,
Sigurd

Are crash dumps created matching the dates/times of the crashes?

Turning on Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Show generic icons for: all folders may help temporarily, if you can open Preferences OK. (Try using the right-click menu from the taskbar if the lister menus aren't working.)

I tried that, but I still get errors (see attachments).

Thanks for trying that setting.

What about the crash dumps, are any being created that can be sent?

Not that I know of. Where can I find those?

P.S.: are you on live messenger or so? That would make the whole process faster. I'm really stuck here :frowning:

I linked to a guide above on how to find them.

I'm not on IM.

I think I found what you're looking for...
DOpus.Minidumps.zip (98.7 KB)

Anything yet?

The crash is happening in a thread created by MSVCR90.dll, which is not part of or used by Opus. Unfortunately, the crash dumps did not reveal much more than that.

I would follow the steps in our Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories guide for disabling shell extensions, since the MSVCR90.dll is almost certainly being brought into Opus by one of them.

(It could also be a viewer plugin, if you have any third party ones, but none of the ones that ship with Opus use MSVCR90.dll so you can ignore viewer plugins unless you've installed some extra ones from the forum.)

I'll look into it, but how come the beta works fine?

Pure luck, I expect, from the nature of the crash.

As a developer, I don't believe in 'luck'. either it works or it doesn't. I'll try to find the plugin in question in about an hour. Meanwhile, please check what has changed between 10.5 and 11 because 10.5 worked like a charm on the same computer as 11 is crashing now (nothing else has changed).

Quite a few things changed between 10.5 and 11, which is kind of the point of a major upgrade.

I understand that of course, but still, how come the beta of 11 works and the release version doesn't. It's quite a mystery to me!

Literally nothing changed between the last beta (11) and the release, except the version number.

As Leo said, it's most probably luck that you didn't see this before. The steps in the FAQ should help you pin it down. It's almost certainly a shell extension.

As said, luck has nothing to do with it!

I use MozyHome and this has a virtual drive where you can see all the files backed up for restoring. This used to work fine, even with the beta 7 of v11. With the release version, it doesn't work.

I surely hope you get this fixed soon and don't blame my luck :wink:.

Luck can have a lot to do with it. If a shell extension has a bug where it trashes a random memory location, that could be harmless in one version where there's nothing important in that memory, and then become catastrophic if we just change the length of one string which moves code around in memory slightly and lands something in the location that is being trashed.

I'm still convinced it's a bug in DOpus. It works flawlessly and every time in beta 7 of v11 and in v10.5 and earlier.
Next to that, the lister ALWAYS crashed just after opening (while building the tree part), not randomly.

Nevertheless, if someone has the same problem with MozyHome (or other backup something), turn of the virtual drive of the tool, it could help a lot :slight_smile:.

Bugs in the Mozy shell extension have caused problems before, FWIW, and the crash dumps shows it creating multiple threads within the host process, which isn't a good idea for shell extensions.