Set different view modes for different folders

Dear People

I upgraded from windows-7 t0 8 and from DO9 t0 11.
I mainly use a dual display with a single folder tree.
Some folders i like to save in 'large icons mode' others as 'Details Display'.
I set each folder to the look i want, save the individual folders and test with closing and restarting.
After restart the folders lost their individual setting and are back to where i started.
I can change all folders to either large icons or details, but not individual folders.

In opus9/win 7 i did not have that problem. it was a simple operation and never gave me problems.
I looked at the tutorial on this site but so far no success.
Any suggestions. Re-install perhaps or am i missing something here?

When you say you save the individual folders, what are you doing exactly?

Do you have entries for the folders under Preferences / Folders / Folder Formats, in the Path Formats section at the top?

When you open a window, where does the format lock say the current format is coming from? [See #6 in the guide linked below.]

How are you opening the window?

If you haven't already, it's worth reading the Folder Formats: Detailed Guide.

Thank you Leo for your prompt response.
Here is what I do:

First I select 1 of the 2 panes in my dual display.
The fplder is called 'Film".
I then click Folde- Folder Options.
Then the Display tab.
Here i select 'View as:' (set to the default "Details") and change it to 'Large Icons'.
At the bottom i click 'Apply' and the folder changes to the new look.
Now I go to the top and select Save ---> For this folder.
I click OK.
Close the folder.
Reopen it and i am back to where i started.
The folder opens to the standard 'details look'.

Thanks, that answers my first question, and sounds correct so far.

The other questions are also important for us to understand what's happening.

PS

I have this folder as a shortcut on my desktop.
Double click opens it.
The pad lock is closed and it says it comes from Unknown.
(i did make the changes with the padlock open)
Under preferences----> Path formats I see That it says C:\Users\Administrator....and so on.
I unchecked it, applied it, tried again, but get the same results.
When i go back the Path formats option is selected again displaying the same path: C:\Users\Administrator...

I deleted the C:\Users\Administrator.... completely and now it works.
Is this the right solution?

Sorry after opening and closing another folder the path is back and the film folder is back to its details look. is there a way to permanently delete this path in preferences/

When going to OirOpus in start menu and then select the saved lister it does open as i want.

Answering the other questions may help us to help you.

Thank you, but i think i did in the second posting starting with PS

The format lock should not be closed. If it is closed, it will lock whatever the current format is (when the lock is turned on) and ignore all others.

If the lock is closed when you open the window: Open a new window, then open the lock, then use Settings > Set As Default Lister to make that the default.

[quote]Under preferences----> Path formats I see That it says C:\Users\Administrator....and so on.
I unchecked it, applied it, tried again, but get the same results.[/quote]

Leave the path format checked (enabled), and don't delete it. You want the path format to exist and be enabled, if your aim is to have a special format for that path.

What exactly are you clicking on? It sounds like a lister layout, which may just confuse matters (they can have their own formats which override the path format; the lock icon's tooltip will tell you if that is happening).

Thanks again. I just deleted and reinstalled and now the program responds as i am used too. :slight_smile:

This is for sure some kind of solution, but won't help you the next time I guess? o)
The folder formats take time to understand and realize, maybe you take that time and play some more the next time.
Being able to make use of special folder formats is very convenient - in most cases.. o)