Setting file alias for network\UNC drive?

In a button I have coded the command go \192.168.0.2\c$. I'd like to be able to use an alias, e.g. go /myUNCalias\c$ (where myUNCalias = \192.168.0.2) instead of hard coding the UNC address.

As far as I can see there is no way of entering a UNC address as a folder alias using the Preferences dialogue. In fact I can't enter any folder name that (apparently) does not exist, for example on a disk that is not currently mounted. I can, however, edit folderaliases.oxc and manually add anything I like. Having done so, I can then use the alias I just created.

Is there another way of skinning this particular cat?

Regards, AB

I was able to manually type \192.168.0.10 into the Folder field and give it a name - even though that path doesn't exist. It did go off into limbo for a while when the dialog tried to find the path in the tree. Once it came back all was well and the alias worked fine.

Yes. Your level of patience is clearly higher than mine... :wink:

I regularly run virtual machines and have a need to map to logical drives (C, D, E) on the parent. Using an alias gives me the basis of a neat button driven solution. Sample follows for anyone else who might be interested.

Regards, AB

[code]

<?xml version="1.0"?> Parent C: #goroot Parent C: (L) Open parent C: in left pane #goroot go /parent\c$ NEWTAB=findexisting OPENINLEFT Parent C: (R) Open parent C: in right pane #goroot go /parent\c$ NEWTAB=findexisting OPENINRIGHT [/code]