Settings not Retained

WinXP Pro (SP3)
DO 9.1.0.6.3044.x86

In Settings\Preferences\Launching Opus\Explorer Replacement:

“Replace Explorer for all but the following folders”:

The button for this option is ticked. The Games folder, on the desktop, is specified here. However, when clicking on the folder (on the desktop), DO shows up and not Explorer. It seems that the settings are not retained in DO.

How to fix this?

Is the setting still there when you re-open Preferences?

i.e. Is the problem that the setting isn't being retained, or that it is retained but doesn't have any effect?

Something that's worth a try is dragging the folder you're double-clicking into the list of exclusions in Preferences. It's possible that the folder you are double-clicking isn't the same as the one that's already in the list.

(In Vista there are several folders in different places which point to the same underlying things but are actually distinct from each other. I'm not sure if Games is one of them.)

"Is the setting still there when you re-open Preferences?"

Yes.

"Is the problem that the setting isn't being retained, or that it is retained but doesn't have any effect?"

Hmm...the latter part of your question may be more applicable.

"Something that's worth a try is dragging the folder you're double-clicking into the list of exclusions in Preferences. It's possible that the folder you are double-clicking isn't the same as the one that's already in the list."

Same problem either way. Strange.

Thanks

I tried it here and it seems to work.

[ul][li]Go to the Explorer Replacement page of Preferences
[/li]
[li]Use File -> Reset Page To Defaults to reset the list of exclusions (or just remove any existing entries for Games).
[/li]
[li]Select Replace Explorer for all but the following folders (if it isn't already)
[/li]
[li]Click on the Start Menu and drag the Games link from the right-hand side of the menu in to the list of exclusions.
[/li]
[li]Click OK in the Preferences window.[/li][/ul]
After doing that, if I open the Start Menu again and click Games the Games folder opens in Explorer.

Oh, I just noticed you're talking about XP and not Vista. I didn't realise XP had a Games folder so it might be something different to what I am thinking of.

What's the actual path to the Games folder?

"What's the actual path to the Games folder?"

C:\Documents and Settings\Name\Desktop\Games

When the above path is entered (or dragged) and I go into DO's 'Explorer Replacement' area and hit 'OK', it will work correctly the FIRST TIME that I click on the desktop folder. After that, it goes back to DO.

I still can't reproduce any problem.

Are you double-clicking it in exactly the same way, from the same location/window, each time?

If you close all open Opus and Explorer windows before each double-click do you get consistent results?

"Are you double-clicking it in exactly the same way, from the same location/window, each time?"

Yes. From the "Games" folder on the desktop. FWIW, I had created that folder myself a while back.

"If you close all open Opus and Explorer windows before each double-click do you get consistent results?"

DO nor Explorer are open when I click the "Games" folder on the desktop.
In other words, when I boot the computer, the only folders on the desktop are "Games" and "Tools". In fact, the "Tools" folder acts the same way.Not big deal, though. I just like the Explorer icon view better. Can DO have the icon view for only those two folders on the desktop? That would give acceptable results.

Thanks for your help.

I've reproduced it (or something similar)

I've been able to reproduce a problem, although it seems to be the opposite of what you are seeing. I suspect it's the same sort of thing, though.

If I exit Opus completely and then double-click the excluded folder on the desktop, it will cause Opus to re-launch and then open an Opus window for the folder.

If Opus is already running, however, then double-clicking the excluded folder causes it to open in Explorer, as it should.

I've reported this to GPSoftware so they can look into it.

Workaround

If you want to you can solve this problem by having Opus always running in the background. You can do this via Preferences - Launching Opus - Startup by copying the settings from the screenshot below. They will cause Opus to run in the background but not open any windows at startup.

Alternatively: Setting the folders to use Icon mode

If you instead want to use Opus to display your Games and Tools folders in Icon mode then you can do that using Folder Formats.

Go into the Games folder, switch Opus to Icon mode, then use Tools -> Folder Options and then Save -> For This Folder. That will tell Opus to use Icon mode whenever you enter that folder. You can then do the same for the Tools folder.

Screenshot

Here's the Preferences screenshot mentioned earlier:

"If I exit Opus completely and then double-click the excluded folder on the desktop, it will cause Opus to re-launch and then open an Opus window for the folder."

That's exactly what happens with me.

"If Opus is already running, however, then double-clicking the excluded folder causes it to open in Explorer, as it should."

Never thought of that. I'll change it via your screenshot.

"I've reported this to GPSoftware so they can look into it."

Thanks!

Go into the Games folder, switch Opus to Icon mode, then use Tools -> Folder Options and then Save -> For This Folder. That will tell Opus to use Icon mode whenever you enter that folder. You can then do the same for the Tools folder."

Will do. Thanks for the tips.