SHA-256 checksums

Thanks, I see what you mean (here). First time I've seen only SHA256 (and PGP) used.

Same. I did look for MD5 and SHA-1 first, but was surprised to see SHA-256 only. No worries, I'll grab some standalone hash calculator to verify the ISO.

I'm a hashtab 5.1 user. Here are a couple of threads with other suggestions:

[search.php?keywords=hashtab](http://resource.dopus.com/search.php?keywords=hashtab)

FileZilla is now only providing a SHA-512 checksum. Have the plans changed re adding SHA-256/512 support?

Could you calculate this with a script button?
This looks promising movable-type.co.uk/scripts/sha256.html

Good thing we didn't waste time implementing SHA-256 if it's already obsolete.

The SHA-512 checksums are so long that I wonder if it's even worth displaying them in a column where you have to manually verify them.

It would be nice if Opus would compare a calculated hash against one that is in clipboard.

e.g. I am now using a 3rd party tool (that regretfully.. does not support SHA-256!) to do this:

• I copy the hash-string (no matter if it is SHA-1, MD5, CRC32, either one is okay) from website to clipboard
  • rightclick the downloaded file
  • run the tool
    it compares with against what is in clipboard and gets me the results (Okay or not okay)

Maybe, one day, this could be in Opus as well?

=

A script could do that easily, for the supported hash types.

Undoubtedly . . . .

Already found a solution: Nirsoft Hashmyfile, portable, tagging in options:
'Mark Hash In Clipboard'
'Enable Explorer Context menu'

=

Would someone be good enough to write such a script? I'd do it myself if I possessed the know-how.

Posted: 'HashCompare' Script Command

See what you think...

I made an update to the script that adds a few things I thought made sense... and I'm now using this myself instead of my old stupid method of writing out the website hash to a text file, doing the same from Opus - and then comparing the two text files. This is much easier - so thanks for the idea! Even if nobody else uses it - I will... :slight_smile:

Thanks so much! I'll post feedback in the relevant thread.

Hi,

it would be very convenient if directory opus could compute SHA-256 and SHA-512 hashes, as they are used more and more nowadays.
I know there are a lot of third party tools that can do the job (hashtab, hashcheck, rapidcrc unicode, ...) but none of them is as productive as the internal functions of directory opus.

It would be nice at least to allow the call of a dll to add external computation methods from directory opus.
Do you think this may be possible ?

We'll probably add more at some point.

(A script column could be used to implement them now if you're desperate. Most of the overhead is reading the data not the calculations so a script implementation may not be too bad, although I could be wrong.)

One thing that keeps making us put this off is that the newer hashes are so long that displaying them in columns and manually comparing the numbers seems less and less sensible, at least if the files being compared aren't right next to each other in the same folder. The shorter hashes were useful for manually comparing with each other but it starts to become unrealistic with the longer ones.

Hey there Leo. To your point - I personally have very little use for the hashes to be displayed in columns. My only real interest in the hash calculation capability in Opus is to be able to verify a hash of a file against a reference source (website, manifest, etc). Whether by use of my script (which - while I originally wrote based on a request from others, I use myself now ALL the time) or just comparing against a manifest with <Ctrl+F> in the text file after getting the hash from Opus in to the clipboard...

And yeah, I've been seeing higher bit SHA2 hashes being used much more lately over the past year or so. Moreso in my professional work, and less from public sources.

I created a script column and used VBScript.

I'm not a vbscript expert programmer but I managed to compute the SHA-256 checksum of files.

Unfortunately it's slow AS HELL, probably because of my vbscript limited skills plus the fact that vbscript is totally inappropriate to deal with binary streams and byte arrays.

It isn't usable atm.

In the next update the FSUtil.Hash method will be able to calculate SHA-256 and SHA-512 checksums as well as SHA-1 and MD5.

Wonderful ! This is excellent news,
Yesterday again I I had to use rapidcrc to compute a checksum on an iso file and, even if rapidcrc is great, I will not miss it in the future :slight_smile:

For those who are wondering, this is the kind of announcement that shows the devs are really listening and shows were your money goes when you buy (or upgrade) directory opus !

Keep up the good work !