Share preferences between multiple PC's

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Directory Opus 10 to see how it compares to XYplorer and determine if it's a better alternative. Because I work on multiple computers in the same local network, I need to be able to share my preferences between those computers. Preferably by saving them on my NAS and telling DO to load my preferences from there. Is that possible?

You can use Settings -> Backup and Restore to do that, if you mean backing up to the NAS from one copy and restoring the settings to another.

(See also: Backing up and Restoring Preferences.)

Hi,

Thanks for the swift reply.

I read about the Backup and Restore options, but that is not what I mean. It's far too cumbersome to backup and restore each time I switch from computer. I really need it to be transparent and automatic. XYplorer allows me to store my settings on my NAS and tell it where to find them using a command line switch. Is something similar possible with Directory Opus?

You could set up a softlink to redirect the /dopusdata folder to a folder on the NAS.

(/dopusdata is an alias which will normally point to C:\Users<Your Name>\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus on Windows 7, but just type /dopusdata into Opus and it will take you to the appropriate location.)

I am not sure how well it would work as I haven't tried it, but in theory it would be the same as using Opus in "shared configuration" mode (where multiple users on the same machine all share a single config directory), so it should work.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems to work. Hopefully no nasty conflicts occur when I forget to close Opus on one machine and start working on another.