Sharing DOpus profile data in a dual boot system

I have a rather unique situation. I am installing a new system that will dual boot two copies of Win 7. The first OS image will be used for general business, personal work, games and whatever (the bloated pig installation), and the second image will be used strictly for music production with a minimal number of apps, system services etc. installed (the lean and mean machine).

I will be running opus on both OS images in two different user profiles, but I don't want to have to completely configure each opus install separately... too many customizations etc. I looked at using the opus shared configuration, but my issue here is that i only want to share some of the config settings... not all of them. I will be using different toolbars on each side but much of the other data like file types, rename presets, user commands, custom scripts etc. could be shared. so I'm thinking of using symlinks or junctions to link common config files between two different user profiles.

I could backup and copy config files between the two different user profiles but this could be problematic if files were inadvertently changed on both sides... a diff/merge nightmare. using symlinks seems like a much cleaner solution.

Problem is I'm not sure which config files are safe to link and which are user profile specific. Any help sorting this out would be appreciated.

(if i'm totally missing something here and there's a simple solution I'm all ears.) :slight_smile:

Thanks

Why not use the built in Settings --> Backup and Restore functionality and save the backup files you create to a USB stick or a shared disk that you can access from whichever system you boot. Backup files are clearly identifiable by generated name, e.g.

admin - Opus Config - 27-Jul-2009.ocb

and any attempt to overwrite an existing backup file is preceded by a warning and requires confirmation. I use this method to sync between two PCs, which is logically very similar to what you want to do.

Regards, AB

I'm not sure if using links for individual config files will work. Opus will probably try to delete and then re-create the files when it modifies them and (off the top of my head, without having tried it) I suspect that will delete the link and then create a new individual file.

Using a junction to map the entire config folder to be the same for both Windows installs would work, though. You'd have to ensure that the drive letters were consistent between installs (for any) but I can see that working.

You could also go for a different approach and use logon/logoff scripts to copy/sync the copy files between two profiles, possibly using a third "master" area. Doing that as a date-based sync rather than a straight copy would be better in case the machine loses power or whatever.

You'll probably need to do something about folder permissions whichever method you use (unless you manage to make the account SID the same on both installs; not sure if that's possible). Profile folders normally only give your account + SYSTEM + Administrators access to their contents so if the two Windows installs are using different accounts then the default permissions won't work.

(You could also set up a roaming profile which does all of this stuff for your entire profile, but I think you need a Windows server to do that. I've never looked into setting them up, though.)

thanks leo. i think i'm going to opt for using junctions. i'll post the results once things are up and running.

btw. i can envision more people wanting to do something like this... multi-boot is pretty easy to do now with something like EasyBCD. As an enhancement request it would be nice to have the option in opus to specify the paths to the different config folders (buttons, rename scripts, etc.). i use cakewalk sonar for music production which provides a preferences dialog page to setup a whole bunch of different paths. something similar in opus would be useful.

have a good one
mark

Specifying the folders via a GUI doesn't seem much easier than specifying the folders by creating junctions. What's the advantage?

Does anyone have any conclusions on the best way to share DOpus on the same PC with different OSs?

I now have Vista and Win 7 and am going through the laborious process of adding stuff that matters to Win 7. DOpus is naturally one of the first things on the list.

I have looked through the various posts on "dual boot". These suggest that I am within the law, but this particular discussion ends in mid air with a promise to report back. Any chance some thoughts on best practice for beginners?

I checked the FAQs but saw nothing of immediate relevance.

As someone else has said, now that dual boot is a piece of cake in Windows, we may see more people trying this out.

My advice would be not to dual-boot two versions of Windows, or if you do don't try to merge settings/profile folders because doing that is bound to run you into problems and technicalities, even for non-beginners.

There's next to nothing that works on Vista but doesn't work on Windows 7 so if you want to use Windows 7 dive in and leave Vista behind.

Anyone who needs an older version of Windows (presumably XP) for compatibility would do well to look into the "Virtual XP" that you get free with Windows 7 Professional and above, or other virtual machine solutions.

I have several VMware virtual machines for testing things on different versions of Windows and they work great. Far, far less hassle than shutting down my main OS and booting another install. With VMware you also get the ability to make snapshots which are incredibly useful. (Other VMs also let you do that, to some degree. I think Virtual PC has an "undo disk" which effectively gives you a single snapshot.) Now that VMware supports Aero (desktop composition) I don't even need a physical Vista install to test Vista apps that use glass etc..

My advice would be not to dual-boot two versions of Windows, or if you do don't try to merge settings/profile folders because doing that is bound to run you into problems and technicalities, even for non-beginners.
[/quote]

I am doing this as a transition move. Attempts to install Win 7 atop Vista on other PCs showed that it doesn't work as well as they claim. So I am not about to run the risk of wrecking my working PC.

I also like to clean up when installing the OS. That means removing junk that has built up over the year or so since I last did it.

So what I do is to run the two side by side, with minimal sharing of data, and to steadily install stuff in the new OS as I get time. (It can take days to move and customise everything.)

As you can imagine, DOpus comes in handy when doing the job. So I wanted advice on how it might work. As I read it, this was, after all, the original point of this discussion, which has the title "Sharing DOpus profile data in a dual boot system".

Maynard said he (?) planned to see what worked for him. I just hoped I might smoke out the feedback he originally offered.

On the data sharing, I planned to export from one OS and to import into the other.

As most of my working data resides on a disk that is separate from both OSs, I can fairly easily maintain consistent links to my data.

Do you actually need the two installs to share the same config?

Could you not backup the config on the old OS and import it into the new OS? (Using Settings->Backup and Restore.)

I mean, you can do it, but I wouldn't advise it if your aim is to keep things simple and working, because sharing config between two OS installations on the same machine will make things complex.

I guess it should work, though, as it's like having a roaming profile, in a way.

My fault for not being clearer when I wrote

[quote]"On the data sharing, I planned to export from one OS and to import into the other."
[/quote]
What I should have said was

So I plan to do just what you suggest.

I guess what I really want to know is about the process of maintaining the DOpus licence in the two OSs.

If I just install in Win 7, will the licence file and registration details just work?

Yeah, that should all work fine.