Show info tip for EXE files with same product version as File Explorer

Hi!
I was trying to customize the information shown as an info tip for .exe files by adding the product version field but I was getting wrong results and then I came across this forum post.

So what I'd like to get and be displayed is the same product version string information that File Explorer shows in File Properties, instead of the binary information that Directory Opus shows. Is this possible?

When editing the info tip, Insert Field > Shell Info Tip (or manually add {infotip} will give you everything that's in File Explorer's info tip.

The problem is that I already tried that approach, but it doesn't show the product version, which is the information I'm interested in, just the file version.

Since File Explorer doesn't show it either?

There probably isn't a way to do it in that case. (Short of writing a script or shell extension to extract the value, which could then be displayed in the info tip.)

File Explorer shows it correctly.

I thought that info tip only allowed displaying the given information fields. If I can write a custom script to extract the info somehow from the command line I'll give that a try.

In the Info Tip?

{infotip} should give you the same text that Explorer displays unless something strange is happening.

I didn't explain well. I mean that File Explorer shows the product version (string) info correctly in the Details tab of the Properties dialog box accessible from the context menu. In File Explorer's info tip the product version is not shown either, it's the same as in Directory Opus {infotip} field.

{prodversion} should show it I would have thought.

The issue here is that an .exe file provides the product version in several formats, one binary and (at least) one in string format, depending on the number of localizations. File Explorer displays —in the Properties dialog— the string format associated with the user's OS system language, but Directory Opus displays the product version information extracted from the binary data.

I've found a built-in Windows command that gets the string product version info I'm looking for, but it resorts to PowerShell:
> powershell -command "&{(get-item 'exe_file_full_path').VersionInfo.ProductVersion}"

How can I get the output of this command to be added to the Info tip of the Programs file type group?

{name}
Description:	{moddesc}
Company:	    {companyname}
File Version:	{modversion}
Date Created:	{created}
Size:		    {sizeauto}

Give this a try:

1 Like

Thank you very much, Leo!

This script does the trick.

1 Like