Show matching text

Can anyone tell me if Dopus allows you to do a find/search for text in a file and show me a short extract of the text in context (say, about 30 words). I teach and if I'm looking for a previous file to use again, I can't spend the time reading through the whole document to look for the passage I want to peruse. One of the other "explorer replacements" has this function which is very important to me although on all other fronts I think, from memory, Dopus excels.

Unfortunately, Opus can't do this, at least not directly.

If you are searching text files then you might find the Grep Dir button in my Diff/Merge Toolbar useful. It searches for strings in all files and subdirectories and prints the matching lines & file names.

It's not pretty but I've found it good enough for quick searches, and I load a text editor and use it's Find in Files feature when things get more complex.

Don't forget to send GPSoftware a request if you'd like to see something better integrated into Opus.

As DOpus can't do this (yet...), you could also download this freeware utility and create a button within DOpus to launch it:

Agent Ransack is a tool for finding files and information on your hard drive fast and efficiently.
When searching the contents of files Agent Ransack also displays the text found.
You can then quickly browse the results without having to separately open each file.

• Regular expressions that allow complex rule based searches.
  • Immediate contents results view.
  • Various wizards.

Download: http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/Page.aspx?page=download

Thanks dear Christiaan, :wink:
your suggested program is a very useful one. Thanks for sharing it with others.

Best Regards

And this is a list of valid command line parameters (could be useful to create buttons in DOpus) :wink:

Suggestions most appreciated.

John