Slow at opening directories

My DO is now really slow since update at opening directories (minutes! waiting). I uninstalled and reinstalled vanilla, but with no improvement. I have not added any programs recently which might seem to cause the slowing down. Also with the reinstalled program I cannot get it to open jpgs in photoshop rather than in the viewer. I have solved this in the past, but cannot remember how. Photoshop is my default program in windows 10

Slowdowns when listing folders are usually caused by external factors; typically either shell extensions something else has installed, or antivirus.

This guide walks through how to find the causes:

You probably just need to do this:

Yes, that solved the jpg issue - thanks

I have not resolved the loading of folders speed by following these suggestions, and also uninstalling some programs; but I have changed the dopus.exe startup from 64 bit to x86, and it is back to the old fast speed (this is running windows 10 at 64 bit). Odd

What do you mean by that? You can't normally change it, unless we're talking about a USB portable version.

If 32-bit Opus is OK but 64-bit isn't, the issue is even more likely to be what's covered in Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing certain directories, since there is probably a problematic 64-bit component (e.g. a shell extension) which doesn't have a corresponding 32-bit version and is only loaded into 64-bit processes.