Slow loading Library

Hello,

I have a Windows library. The library contains folder/folders that reside on a network NAS. The folder on the NAS is quite big. In DOpus in the library folder if I navigate to a sub folder and then navigate back to the root folder it always display "Reading Folder" with a green progress bar. I tried doing the same as I did with the library on the real NAS folder (the one that was mapped to the library) and there is no delay in navigating it instantly navigate back to the root folder. In Windows Explorer this problem does not exist navigating back and forth is instant. Can you please check your implementation of libraries and resolve this issue because it is quite annoying to wait every time while navigating in library folders.

Thank you

Are there other folders in the library which may be causing the slowdown? Please check if Opus is slow for any of the folders that are part of the library, as it may not be the large folder that's causing the slowdown.

If any folders are on network drives which are not accessible (e.g. machines which are switched off), that could be a cause of the problem.

Which file display columns are shown? And which file display mode (details, thumbnails, etc.)?

Would it be possible to run Process Monitor to see what is being accessed during the slow reading?

Hello Leo,

The root folder is the largest one containing about 500 folders. Sub folders have at the most 100 folders. The problem only happens if i navigate to a sub folder and then navigate back to the root folder (the one that is mapped in the library). I have only one folder in the network library so there is no other reason for the slowdowns besides this folder. All the folders including this folder is accessible. As I said in my first message: if I explicitly open the root folder (the one I mapped in the library) and then navigate to some sub folders and then navigate back to the root folder it navigates instantly. The problem only happens if I use the library with the same folder mapped to the library. Regarding your question "Which file display columns are shown?" : the answer is that it happens in every mode even in details mode that does not need the icons or pictures of the folder in order to show it. If I do the same in Windows Explorer (regardless of the view mode details/large icons etc.) it navigate back and forth instantly. It seems that it only happens in DOpus in a mapped library folders and by navigating back to the root folder. It does not happen if I navigate from the root folder to a sub folder which have about 100 folders then navigate inside one of the 100 folders then navigate up back, it navigate instantly. It happens ONLY if I navigate from the root folder to a sub folder and then going up back to the root folder. It seems that the Root folder is the cause of the delay.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks

I have tried the same configuration on another computer Windows 7 x64 which is completely different from the one that I used (I have used Windows 8.1 x64 when I experienced the problem) and the problem persists. It depends on the speed of the computer the faster it is the shorter the message "Reading Folder" but this message and the delay are only evident on a Network Library folder and do not exist if navigating to the same network folder explicitly.

Hello,

I would really appreciate if you try replicating this issue. I will be using DOpus on multiple computers as a controller which is operated by quite a few users. This lag on waiting for the folder to re opened is unacceptable by our users and can be avoided in DOpus (if it will be fixed), since Windows Explorer does not exhibit this behavior.

Looking forward to your reply...

So the initial read of the root folder isn't slow? It's only when going root -> sub -> root that the slowness occurs?

No, even the initial read of the root folder of the library is slow. Every time I open this library it takes time to show it it displays...
"Reading Folder... Abort" and also when navigating back to the root folder. Again I have tested it on another computer and this behavior is consistent. But if I go to Network->Remote Computer Address->Remote Share folder (the same folder that was mapped to the library)
and click this folder there is no delay at all.

Thanks.

Does the library have any other folders in it, or just the single network share?

The library have only one item in it. It is a single network folder share.

Which file display columns are in use? They may be a factor.

Would it be possible to see a screenshot of the whole Opus window showing the library so we can see if anything stands out as a potential cause of the slowdown?

Are any filter labels in use?

File display mode is "Details". There are only folders in the root folder of the library. I removed all the columns besides the file/folder name.
I have no labels. I used the stock configuration of DOpus after first installing DOpus V.11 to remove any configurations that might lead to this problem. Please tell me exactly what screen shots you would like to see? Do you want to see the root folder of the library? I can even make a recording of windows if you think that it would help. If you want recording or some screen shots than please tell me how can I upload them to you.

Thanks

A screenshot of the library after it has loaded could be useful. (i.e. Go to whichever folder is slow to load, wait for it to finish loading, then take a screenshot of the window.)

A video may also be useful if it's not too difficult to make.

You can upload both as attachments to the forum. (Zip up the video so the forum will accept it. Images work in JPG, PNG and GIF formats.)

This is the root folder in the library that is slow to load. Did you try to replicate the issue? Do you see the message "Reading Folder"

Does turning off Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Display localized folder names remove the delay for you?

Yes it removes the delay, it solves this issue now it loads instantly any folder in the library.
Why this option introduces the delay for network library folders?
Thank you very much for your help and support.

John

Thanks for confirming. We'll have that fixed in the next update, so the delay won't happen with the option back on.

A fix is now available in 11.16.1 (beta).

A post was split to a new topic: Slow loading Library unless localized names turned off