Slow on one machine (was: Slow after W10 Update)

And out of respect for the time you are spending with me I did uninstall KAV, rebooted, opened a lister and had exactly the same problem. I then reinstalled KAV. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Sorry to keep posting, but here's another update - I restored an image to a point just before I upgraded to Threshold and low and behold the problem was there then too. It looks as though I've given you some bad info at several points in this thread and I do apologize for that. Bottom line, however, is that I still have the problem and have tried everything you've suggested with no improvement. Oh, and I was able to check the message over the spinning blue circle: "Querying File & Folder Information"

It might be worth running Process Monitor to see which files and registry settings are being accessed during the delays.

If you run ProcMon and save a log in .PML format, we can look at it for you. (They are often large, but zip down to fairly small sizes.) Make sure ProcMon is set to monitor file and registry, and don't filter out any processes as the delay could involve waiting for a second process to do something.

Logfile attached. Candidly, not sure I did it right - hope I did.

[I removed the log after downloading it, just in case there's anything private in the file paths, usernames, etc. --Leo]

Thanks for the log file!

When you say the file display expands slowly, do you mean it takes a long time for the names of all the files and folders to appear, or for other details like the folder sizes?

Most of the Opus activity in the log seems to be it calculating folder sizes, which are presumably set to be calculated automatically and all the time on your setup. It's normal for that to not be instant, if the directory listings are not already cached by the operating system, but it should also happen on the background so you can see all the folders and work with them while the numbers are being calculated and updating on the fly.

Another detail I notice from the log is that the E:\ drive is extremely slow to respond when asked for directory listings. (This is affecting other programs that access it as well.) I'm guessing E:\ is a network drive, either over a slow link or on a very slow device (or possibly a non-Windows device running a badly configured version of Samba that is very slow to generate directory listings).

There's is also some activity from 3rd party components that may be worth investigating, but I'd stuck to the things above first and see if they are the cause. Try turning off folder size calculation, and eliminate anything that might causing access to the E:\ drive (e.g. folder tabs pointing at E:\ or below).

In response to your questions:

1. I don't think I sayd the file display expands slowly. It's the folder tree that populates slowly. I have the lister set to open at c: drive with c: opening in the file tree and the c: folders displaying on the rights side.

2. Yes, I have folder sizes enabled. But before I posted the problem on this forum I tried disabling that option and there was no difference - the same problems occurred.

3. E drive is a logical partition on the local hard drive. I have two physical drives. Drive one (2tb) is partitioned from C: through G: drives and drive 2 is partitioned as H: through M: plus X: (x: drive being my pagefile parition).

I know this thread is a bit long, so let me again describe the specific symptoms:

• When the lister opens (to c: drive, my default setting), the files & folders show quickly in the file pane. In the folder pane, all folders show immediately but c: drive expands and populates VERY slowly.

• When I click on CERTAIN favorites (specifically e:\download, H:\download, E:\My Documents\My Tivo Recordings and perhaps one or two others) Directory Opus stalls for several seconds before performing the operation. HOWEVER, if I just go to the main parent drive (ie, the root of E: drive) and THEN open E:\ any folders, the operation is instantaneous. Note that I moved My Documents to E: drive (something I've always done on all of my systems for the past 30 or so years). Dopus does not have any issues with that in and of itself.

Just fyi I've attached the backup config file for my current settings - though it works fine on the laptop (almost exactly the same except there is only one drive) and it worked fine on my other desktop (a virtual clone of this one) when I installed Dopus for testing purposes last week.

I think those are the primary problems Leo.

[Attachment downloaded removed in case of anything private. --Leo]

*should read "said", not "sayd" obviously. apparently I can't edit posts once they are up.

Please open Resource Monitor, switch to the Disk tab, expand everything and take a screenshot. What does it look like?

Got most of it in the capture (see attached).

Thanks again for all of your time - and Happy Holidays to you and yours :slight_smile:

Many thanks!

That looks perfectly normal to me, so scratch that idea.

Does setting Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: no_external_change_notify = False make a difference? You would not want to leave it that way, but if it improves performance then it might be something we can fix.

No, no difference. And to make matters worse, I'm on my laptop right now and the same issue IS present on the laptop - and to a greater extent than the desktop. Dopus has crashed a couple of times already and I've only been logged on for an hour. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall shortly.

You can email crash dumps to leo@gpsoft.com.au and we'll see what they reveal.

no such folder exists - sorry

Did dopus.exe actually crash, or just freeze up or something else? If it crashes, there should be a crash dump in most cases.

Froze and was accompanied by system message (program failed to respond - wait for program to respond or end task) - happened several times - each time I had to "end task". I refer to that as a crash, but I recognize we don't all use the same terminology for various system events. Anyway, I uninstalled and reinstalled but there appear to be some issues with the laptop today (from out of nowhere - also a new computer - about 6 months old - never had any previous problems). I'm going to use Acronis to restore to a previous date and go from there. Really more concerned with the desktop at this point, though the fact that the same problem did occur on more than one system raises some questions I guess.

Ah ok, that isn't a "crash".

At this point I am out of ideas, I'm afraid, short of removing all background processes (WinPatrol, KAV, Acronis, PerfectDisk were all doing a fair amount of stuff in the background. Acronis's shell extension has been known to cause all kinds of trouble, too. But nothing pointed to any of them in particular in the logs.)

Keep in mind that one of the troubleshooting steps I took was disabling all shell extensions. Anyway, I get it. It's an anomaly. Again, I appreciate all your time and assistance. I'll keep trying various thing and if anything works I'll post back. Similarly, should you think of anything else please post in this thread (I'm subscribed).

Thanks much Leo.

Hi. I´m just curious of some thing: does explorer work well?

yes it does.

I take it back lead. While Windows Explorer doesn't have exactly the same problems as Dopus, I just noticed that when I click on E: drive in the file pane it populates very slowly. I then played around in explorer and sure enough, navigation is spotty - just as it is in Dopus. Any thoughts as to what would cause this issue across both file managers?

NOTE: I've tried a couple of other 3rd party file managers (xplorer2, etc) and they work VERY quickly and very well without any of the issues described above.