Slowness / Non responsive in window showing Drive List

This is the biggie! :100:

The one that is stressing me the most with DirOpus. I'm sure it is resolvable I just cant figure out how (been trawling other threads & posts for good 90m+ :exploding_head: - I don't have the exactly the same problems as the 2019 right-click guy, for instance)

My biggest problem with DirOpus:
GENERAL INSTABILITY
- Grinding slowness often, Crashes / Non responsive frequently (4 a day minimum) and occasional "Directory Opus has encountered a program error"

I'm no programmer but neither am I a total computer illiterate. :woozy_face:
Also, I don't believe my computer is under-powered.
So, something is very definitely going wrong here

[ My Specs:
Win10
All internal drives (data & operating systems) are SSD.
Intel i7-6820 2.7 GHz 4 cores, 8 logical
64gb RAM ]

I have checked and taken the following steps (as per other threads advice), without success, :pensive:

1. Disabled all the ShellExView stuff. Nothing is active

2. Already have Preferences / Display / Transition Animations / Enable transition animation - all disabled

Just 1 small demonstrative example of the negative experiences I'm having:

I quickly need to flick over & to do something really simple like check if my G Drive is filling up.
So, I go to look in the small "My PC" DirOpus window I always keep open to monitor drives.

For some reason, it is showing an endlessly spinning activity circle but, apparently, is doing nothing useful. [I haven't been into that Lister or told it to do anything in over an hour.]
I click in it :arrow_right: it goes whited-out and unresponsive. After waiting 30 seconds, I give up and use Explorer. Explorer works immediately. About 6 minutes later I check back and DirOpus is STILL unresponsive. :confused:

DirOpus is supposed to speed up & enhance my workflow.
Now, my learning about multiple new functions is naturally enough slowing me down as I explore the program's magnificent array of features. :nerd_face:

But THIS is NOT that kind of delay.
Hence, I must solve it before continuing with DirOpus. It would greatly limit its utility and slow me down otherwise. The repeated crashing/stalling/locking up etc is NOT helpful, to put it mildly.

Every-time I have a problem (like the above or opening a new drive in a tab etc), when DirOpus fails then I jump across to Explorer - it works immediately and consistently. Currently, I experiment and learn in DirOpus. I get my work done in Explorer!

If I have to keep jumping back to Explorer than there is surely something wrong with my DirOpus experience. I sure it is resolvable but I need to have confidence soon that it will stop happening. Then I can make the leap and use DirOpus a my total explorer replacement, with confidence in its stability and reliability.

REALLY, REALLY HOPING FOR A SWIFT & TOTAL RESOLUTION OF THIS :pray:t2:
as I'm, otherwise, falling more and more 'in love' with DirOpus' advanced features & customizability. :muscle:t2: Sadly, this would be a deal breaker though.

First and foremost a file manager needs to be stable and reliable.
For ME, at THIS moment, DirOpus is not that YET.

Thanks,
S

If you want to generate a process snapshot of Opus when it's in this state and send it to us we may be able to tell what's causing it to lock up on your system.

I'll try, Jon

But I never know exactly when it is going to happen
Also, it is not just one identical error occurring over and over
Rather, it is a generalized problem of instability, slow-downs, crashes etc

What do you need me to do/send you for you to help me. if you'd be so kind.

I'll check that process snapshot link, but is there anything else that I could send that'd help BEFORE the next crash occurs?

Thanks,
S

If it happens as often as your report suggests then you shouldn't have to wait that long :slight_smile:

Vague descriptions like this aren't enough to go on to diagnose the issue. It's almost certainly going to be caused by a conflict with something else you have installed. If we say that the whole program locking up and going non-responsive is the worst state it can get into, then taking a snapshot of the process when it's in that state is the best course of action.

Ok
Will do

It's the non-responsive, grind to halt moments that happen the most often though
They wouldn't have crash details attached to them as no actual full-on crash has occurred.

What should I send you to try and pinpoint the causes of those problems?
IE. Simple file operations/Directory opening working fine in Explorer at the same moment as grinding to minutes long freezes in Dir Opus

How would I best document & describe those for you?

If you notice a pattern that seems to trigger it that would be worth knowing. Otherwise, stop replying to this thread, go back to Opus, wait for it to lock up, and make the process snapshot.

Process snapshot will provide the necessary data for you when I'm talking slow-downs and freezes not total crashes?

It's a snapshot of the exact state of the process at the time. If the process is locked up when you take the snapshot it should show why. That's why I suggested it.

Great.
Will do
Thanks

Opening a new Lister just took 20-25 seconds to actually open.

Is there anything I can send you now
(15 seconds after Lister has appeared & thus problem is over) that would help you diagnose?

That's a different issue to the one you described where everything froze for at least 6 minutes.

If you can create a snapshot during a 20-25 second delay, then it may prove useful as well. Should be possible if you're quick. But if not, just wait until the real freeze happens again. From what you said it is happening a lot so it should not take long.

Following the two FAQs on freeze issues is also advisable (those link to the same thing Jon mentioned, so presumably haven't been read yet).

Ok, Leo

I'll try to catch it

The thing is this. I have pretty much devoted the last 2 days to reading about, and solving, my problems with Directory Opus.

As a result I'm doing far less work with my data, and DirOpus, than usual:

• Far fewer tabs open
  • No archives being made or unpacked
  • Not much file movement going on at all

:arrow_right: I have far fewer crashes as I'm only really altering things in the configurations & preferences.

When I get back to my normal situation of having

• Queued up file movements.
  • 12+ open tabs etc
  • 2 or 3 External 5TB+ drives in action

Then crashes are more likely to occur.

Please, just reply to the thread when you have new information, like the snapshots we have asked for.

The snapshots are very easy to make. If the problem keeps happening as you say then it should not take long to run into it and generate the snapshots as per the guide Jon linked to.

We don't need anything else until we see the snapshots.

None of this other information (e.g. a list of all the things you are not doing) is actionable, and it is just adding noise that makes it harder to find the important information in this thread.

We got your email about having trouble sending the large file, due to not using DropBox etc., but haven't received anything else so far.

If you need a way to send large files (up to 2GB for free) without a OneDrive, Google Drive or DropBox account, people have used https://wetransfer.com/ in the past.

Thanks Leo,

Its on its way via WeTransfer as we speak (22% now)

Real life intervened yesterday to tear me away from the screen. :frowning_face:

Had to visit immigration, customs & embassy to check & regularize our situation here. Covid means we cant leave even though we have exceeded time limits. Had to get a solution hammered out. Did it but was a LONG DAY :sweat:, hence no time for DirOpus stuff yesterday. Sorry

Will get back to it now.

Thanks

Crash logs (.dmps) now deleivered to Jon's address via WeTransfer

Thanks

It's 1am where Jon is but if you can forward the URL to the crashdumps address, I can take a look sooner for you.

Thanks for sending the logs to us.

What kind of drive is your G:\ drive? The five snapshots all show that the process is hung requesting the icon and label for that drive.

Hi Leo,

First a caveat:
I have these problems with DOpus not refreshing & showing accurate, current files inside a Folder/Lister fairly frequently.
They do also occur at other times as well NOT just when my G drive is connected.

That said,

• G (GENERAL) is about 60% full with mostly eBooks, old documents & backups.
  • It's 3TB Seagate External Drive with its own power supply
  • It's from about 2014
  • It has a Reallocated Sectors Count problem, according to CrystalDiskInfo, but passes windows error checks.
  • I have never had a problem with it
    but will all unique transfer data off in case it fails. I'll only use it for backups.

When another crash/freeze happens without G connected I'll try & grab those .dmp crash dump files for you to check out.

Thanks 4 getting back to me,
S.

What is the full SMART reading of the disk?