Some exif info not displaying correctly in lister

Some of my photos in the lister show a blank "date taken" even though the property is in the file. I'm running DOpus 12.12. I have attached screenshots showing what I'm seeing.

The first image is what it looks like in DOpus. The second one is in windows explorer, and the third is the properties of the file showing the date taken.

There are about 70 files in one folder (I haven't looked beyond that) that are exhibiting this behavior. Is there an option that I've accidently enabled to tell it to look at another piece of exif data for this?

Explorer's tag is listed under "Origin", not under "Image" where you would expect it. So it's probably one of the other tags that all sound like "the date a picture was taken". Opus' Metadata pane is a good start for further investigation.

The Metadata pane only gives the option to copy date taken from date created, digitized, or modified. But those are the dates the FILE was created, modified, or digitized, not the date the photo was taken.

Using exiftool, the metadata containing the date the picture was taken exists in several tags (modify date, date/time original, date created, date/time created) but there is no tag called "date taken". I'm not sure what file explorer is looking at differently than DOpus. If I compare exiftool output from images with no "date taken" showing in DOpus to images where it shows correctly they contain the exact same date tags.

Explorer does some things with date fields which aren't always that obvious. e.g.

If none of the existing threads about date taken in Explorer vs Opus cover what you're seeing, and you're using the latest version, then please upload a sample image or two for us to investigate.

After doing more looking, it looks to me that sometimes the data is stored in what could be considered invalid datatime formats - no leading zeroes in some part of the time. For example, "2018:06:05 14:31:1" or "2004:06:20 7:19:48". Neither of these show dates in Bridge or DOpus but they both do in windows explorer, some photo editing apps, and exiftool (this is what showed me the raw info with the missing zeroes).

Here is one with data like that

There's no metadata in that image at all. I think the forum may strip metadata out of images when you upload them.

Could you please zip the image file and upload it again?

See if this is better.

IMG_4294.zip (7.3 MB)

Thanks, that worked. We'll fix this for the next update.

Great - thanks!