1) I'm not sure if you mean this, but commands can have the @nodeselect switch, so you can apply more operations on them
2) of course you have to select files in order to preview them. There is no other way, i think. The second part of the question i don't understand.
3) if you use the filter field with the parameters autocontent,file,realtime, youcan directly enter partially matches of file names without having to use any »*« wildcard.
4) you mean for miniatures & symbols? What sense does it make? You can conveniently select & deselect files in the other modes, so in my opinion it only makes sense in
details like modes, for which we already have the power node.
5) you should send suggestions to gpsoft.com.au/Support.html, since this is an users forum only. Also please post single topics only, or if it's a bunch of suggestions,
better in the coffeeshop section (i think, there is already a thread adressing the improvement suggestions).
6) you can set (except for power mode) the listers to always select the first file automatically in -> preferences -> listers -> file display (3rd from the top).