Some UI suggestions

I'm trying out Directory Opus and I like to streamline the UI as much as possible to save space. I've tried other file managers and one in particular, XYplorer, has a cool feature that reduces folder tree space: half-width +/- branches (Tools > Customize Tree > Narrow Tree).

Directory Opus allows 3 (why only 3?) icons on the status bar but how about in the column headers too? Particularly the folders, files, and total file/subfolder counts could have their widths greatly reduced with just an icon instead of all that text.

XYplorer also has zebra striping in its grid style setting to distinguish alternate rows easily.

Anyway, just some suggestions I thought DO could benefit from as I evaluate it. Great program overall!

(Please ask one question per thread so the forum is easier to follow and for people searching for existing discussions.)

The different tree styles under Preferences / Folder Tree / Appearance have different widths, although I don't know if any of them are as narrow as the one you have in mind. The Vista-style auotmatic horizontal scrolling option under Preferences / Folder Tree / Options can make the width of tree branches less important, too.

You can have as many icons on the status bar as you want, and you can fully customize the information displayed there.

See Preferences / Display / Status Bar and the Status Bar Codes thread, as well as the Sampels drop-down in Preferences, which included a sample that only uses icons for the file/folder counts, just as you wish.

So does Opus, if you change the grid line style, under Preferences / File Display Modes / Details, to the solid block.

The different tree styles under Preferences / Folder Tree / Appearance have different widths, although I don't know if any of them are as narrow as the one you have in mind. The Vista-style auotmatic horizontal scrolling option under Preferences / Folder Tree / Options can make the width of tree branches less important, too.[/quote]
Those don't affect the width of the branches. In XYplorer, narrow folder tree width actually makes the + and - branch controls appear closer to the edge so the expanded branches aren't pushed out to the right as far. It really does save a lot of empty space.

You can have as many icons on the status bar as you want, and you can fully customize the information displayed there.

See Preferences / Display / Status Bar and the Status Bar Codes thread, as well as the Sampels drop-down in Preferences, which included a sample that only uses icons for the file/folder counts, just as you wish.[/quote]
For the status bar I mean only 3 kinds of icons (could use ones for items and bytes/space too), not the amount of icons. The column headers allow no icons, of course.

So does Opus, if you change the grid line style, under Preferences / File Display Modes / Details, to the solid block.[/quote]
Ah, great, thanks.

You can put whatever icons you like on the status bar.

There is a huge difference in spacing between the "Vista / Windows 7" style and the and XP "Lines" / "No Lines" styles:

You can display any filetype's icon as well as use any .ico or .png file on the status bar.

From Reference > Status Bar Codes > Codes for graphical elements:

There is a huge difference in spacing between the "Vista / Windows 7" style and the and XP "Lines" / "No Lines" styles:
wc2590_dopus.gif[/quote]
Odd, I don't see this space difference... XYplorer's narrow tree width is still much narrower, however:

You can display any filetype's icon as well as use any .ico or .png file on the status bar.

From Reference > Status Bar Codes > Codes for graphical elements:
wc2592_dopus.png[/quote]
Oh, great. If only that was more evident from the status bar codes...

We have this weird concept of putting complex information into the manual :slight_smile:

If it wasn't so complex, and more intuitively implemented, it would not need to be explained in that much more detail in the manual...

How would you have implemented it?

Provide a more graphical icon-based way of editing the status bar, similar to how toolbars are customizable. The underlying scripting would still be there, of course (like it is in advanced toolbar command editing) but would not be presented as the only way to edit the status bar on the surface. Most users aren't programmers--and even scripting will turn off many users. The sooner programmers realize this the better their programs will be easier to use by most people. Howver, that is not to say the option of more complex editability and customization should not be there for those who enjoy scripting and programming, but it should not be the only way.

I see your point, but the existing editor already provides a realtime preview, a drop down list of most common codes, and several examples - it hardly requires programming skills to use. I don't think you can really claim the existing interface is unintuitive, and I don't think the development effort required to implement a full icon based drag & drop editor for what is already a pretty niche feature would be a productive use of development resources, particularly when you only have to push F1 and spend 2 minutes reading the manual.

2 minutes for someone already familiar with scripting and programming, perhaps--much longer for those with no such experience. Of course, DO doesn't seem really geared towards non-programmers/scripters in the first place--and that's part of its problem--but I suppose it has had enough popularity to make it this long.

It's not scripting or programming, and I really don't understand why you're claiming it is.

It looks like you're in Windows Classic / Win95-style mode, with visual styles turned off (unless XYplorer doesn't use visual styles to draw its tree), so the Vista/Win7-style tree may not be available (it's drawn using visual styles).

In fact, the spacing of XY's "narrow" mode and the standard Vista/Win7 visual style which Opus can use is exactly the same:

It says right in the Codes menu that the .txt line is just an example, implying you can use any file type there.

I agree that it's not visible from the UI that you can also use any .ico or .png file, but if you ever wonder "can Opus do this?" it's always worth quickly checking the manual to see if there are more advanced features which aren't obvious from the UI.

(Sometimes that's because we feel so few people will use/need the feature that it doesn't justify the time to create, document and maintain additional UI for it. Sometimes we feel that adding the extra UI would overwhelm more people than it would help, and the people who need more advanced/specific/esoteric things generally read up on the details from the relevant part of the manual.)

Can I jump in with a question? This discussion interested me because I'd like to get the folder tree as narrow as possible, too.
Leo, when you refer to Windows Classic Mode, are you referring to the settings in Windows? or is it a setting in D Opus?

It's a Windows setting. It makes everything look like Windows 95 did and will prevent anything which depends on visual styles, such as the Vista-style tree. It also disables desktop composition, drag & drop tooltips (although Opus can simulate them, you'll lose them in most other programs) and a bunch of other good things.

I use "Windows Classic"-Style GUI with all it's "drawbacks?" on win7 all the way and let me tell you, you don't lose anything good.. o)
For me it's the other way round, you gain desktop-space, functionality, speed and you get your things done in time again.. o)

I checked: No, this narrow-tree style cannot be used when in "classic mode". But I don't miss it at all, I seriously find that narrow style just to narrow to be able to distinguish between nested folders, there are no lines either (which were clickable in previous windows version btw), but maybe that's all just me, being "retro" minded.

For limited screen/tree space I suggest using "Windows Vista" scrolling style (Prefs/FolderTree/Options), it works a treat and eliminates the need to scroll the tree at all, well here at least.
And another thing to gain some pixels is, to let the foldertree start at "Computer" or even a drive not at "Desktop" (settable at same panel I mentioned).