"Something is taking longer than expected"

Directory Opus 13.4 Build 8838 x64
OS 10.0 (B:19045 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0

This is not a biggie, but it's a bit annoying.

Since v13, I've started to get a message in a pop-up, saying something along the line of "Something is taking longer than expected".

I have the option to click on Details and when I do, I see a path.

The few times I've looked at the path when I got the message, it's always been the same path: my browsers cache/temp folder. I never (extremely rarely) have a lister open at this path - however if I remember correctly, I've always had at least one lister open. Why is dirOpus whining about a path I don't even have navigated to in a lister?

I use Everything. Could that have something to do with it?

Does it also report an operation (e.g. "ParseDisplayName")?

Actions on a local temp dir should not normally be that delayed, unless antivirus or similar is blocking things while it scans something, or the system/drive is under extreme load.

You can increase the time before the message is displayed (Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: [Limits] long_operation_notify_time), although the message goes away automatically when the operation completes, so that would just prevent the message itself appearing (and giving you a chance to cancel the operations) unless the operation took even longer.

ive seen this message box pop up on my system recently too.
for my case it seemed to be caused by accessing a drive that was asleep so it took a few seconds to wake it up. eg, i get the same delay from launching my music player if my media drive is powered down when i start it.

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to that. The window disappears after few seconds.

I tried AV scanning that particular folder + copy large files + CrystalDiskMark + navigate large folders in a lister and do searches, to increase drive load but it didn't really do much.

I also tried lowering the timeout value, but never got the pop-up to last long enough for me to be able to read. These pop-ups lasted a very short time. Sometimes just a flicker, whereas my original post was about pop-ups, which would display for few seconds.

Interesting. I never let my drives enter sleep mode though.

everything system is different with what software youre running but it could be something to check on.

from windows power option menu..., i have mine set to sleep or power down after 20mins of have no activity, i have 9 hdds in the computer. if im only using 3 they all dont need to be active.

im on win10, this setting in buried\hidden 7 layers deep from the old style control panel.
if your on win11 im not sure where they moved it to.

I actually just tried it. I set mine to 1 minute but nothing appeared to be happening. I tried few others methods (programs) as well.

I think I'll set it to 5 mins ans then use the computer as normal for a while, and see what happens.

@Leo and @Jon
Can we have the path and any details available in the "ParseDisplayName" dialog expanded? Whenever the dialog comes up I am curious what path DO is affected by.. so I always expand the extra information available in that dialog. It would also help to see what's going in the case the dialog does not last long enough to click around in it and if it sits for longer, I can save a click as well! o)

I would be fine with even more information in there, put them right in my / the users face, I wouldn't mind it at all if it helps to understand a problem situation and maybe even find a solution eventually.

Sending them to the diagnostics/script log should be easy. I'll put it on the list.

Yes, more logging details are welcome! o) Maybe still do the little "expand by default" in the dialog.. it's driving you extra mad if the dialog comes up and yet it does not even show you why, before you clicked the only (expandable) element in there. It's like it wants to bother you extra hard. o)

and..

If I can quickly recognize and see a path in the dialog, of which I know it is in standby (HDD) right now or offline in the meantime (network share), then I wouldn't even start to feel annoyed, because a delay is to be expected for a drive when spinning up or a network share not responding (timeout).

It is a better user experience in general, if you get to know why you are waiting.

If the same path appears 5 times in 5 minutes though, then something is wrong, but an expanded info / visible path should also help to identify this situation a bit easier (I think).