SORTORDER toggle between mixed, normal (folders before files

I would like to switch between [files & folders sorted together] and [folders before files]

something like
Set SORTORDER=mixed,toggle

but it seems I cannot use the toggle in this command

so I tried the following:

@ifset: Set SORTORDER=mixed
Set SORTORDER=Folders
@ifset:else
Set SORTORDER=mixed

which doesn't work either :frowning:

Is there any way to achieve what i want, ideally with the button depressed only when sorted [files & folders together]?

This works for me, at least:

@ifset:SORTORDER=Mixed
Set SORTORDER=Folders
@ifset:else
Set SORTORDER=Mixed

Thanks. I hadn't noticed the omission of 'Set' in the manual, for the very first line!

I am "new" to DO. I used it 10+ years ago when I was required to use Windows in my professional life. I then went to Mac once I retired, but now am using Windows for certains apps not available on Mac. I want to sort files and folders mixed (usually by name). Most of the instructions here appear to be set up to work in older versions of DO. How do I do it in v. 12? Thanks.

Most instructions for older versions still work with newer ones. (Sometimes the menus move around a bit, but that's about all.)

This thread is about toggling the setting back & forth. If you just want to change the setting all the time, there is an option for it in the Folder > Folder Options dialog:

See Folder Formats: Quick Guide for how to make changes there and save them for all folders.

Thank you