Starting mp3 files

updated to opus 10.5.1 (4848)x64 when i click an mp3 to play a mp3 the screen goes blank then starts the program it also goes blank after the end of the song..my default program is winamp and it only does it using winamp

Do you mean when you double-click to launch an mp3 in WinAmp, or when you single-click with the Opus viewer pane open to play the file via something else?

If we're talking about double-click, Opus just asks WinAmp to play the file. What WinAmp then does is up to it.

double click in the opus viewer..it never did this before until i updated opus..

Can you post a screenshot of exactly what you're double-clicking?

At the risk of hijacking the thread.... I have also started getting errors when double-clicking on a .mp3 file since updating to 10.5.1.0 (4848) x64 (Pro Edition). In previous versions, DoPus would launch Windows Media Player and play the audio file. Now, I get an error dialog that contains the following:

"Directory Opus has encountered a program error and needs to close. We apologise for the inconvenience.

The error (0xC0000005) occurred in thread 'dopus.queuedfunction' at address 0x000007FEEA0C2EC1.
Directory Opus needs to close, however you can choose to save your current Lister layout and automatically restart Opus once it has terminated."

Thanks...

Do you get the same crash if you right-click the same mp3 file and select Open, or only when you double-click it?

There is no option 'Open' on right-click. There is, however, 'Play', which I assume is the same thing. If I try that option, I get a very similar, but not identical message:

[quote]Directory Opus has encountered a program error and needs to close. We apologise for the inconvenience.

The error (0xC0000005) occurred in thread 'dopus_function' at address 0x000007FEEA0C2EC1.
The thread that encountered the error may be non-critical and it is possible that it can be safely terminated allowing Directory Opus to continue running.

However, the behavior of Directory Opus after terminating this thread cannot be guaranteed. Would you like to terminate this thread?"[/quote]

If I select 'Yes', I get another dialog:

[quote]Thread successfully terminated.

The thread that encountered the error (dopus_function) has been successfully terminated.

From this point on the behavior of Directory Opus can not be guaranteed. We recommend you finish your current tasks as quickly as possible and then quit and restart Directory Opus.[/quote]

If I select 'No', I get the following dialog:

[quote]Directory Opus has encountered a program error and needs to close. We apologise for the inconvenience.

You have elected not to terminate the thread that encountered the error.

Directory Opus needs to close, however you can choose to save your current Lister layout and automatically restart Opus once it has terminated.[/quote]

I have found that the following right-click selection works: Open With -> Windows Media Player
That successfully starts up Windows Media Player and plays the .mp3 file (or just plays the file if Windows Media Player is already running).

Note, all of the above errors occurs whether or not Windows Media Player is running when the action is attempted.

Thanks for checking those things.

Is Play the same default item if you right-click an MP3 file in Explorer?

Maybe there's something unusual in the registry which is confusing Opus. Could you run my FileTypeDiag tool on the .mp3 extension and post back the log (in a zip file)?

Yes, 'Play' is the default item for right-click in Windows Explorer.

One more data point: The errors also occur if you use the "right-click -> Add to Windows Media Player List" selection as well. All of these worked prior to 10.5.

Here is the log from FileTypeDiag.
mp3.zip (8.32 KB)

Thanks! Nothing looks wrong with the registry that stands out when I compare it against my own settings.

Does a crash dump get created matching the time of the crash? That may indicate which component the crash is in, at least.

Yes, I was able to get a dump file on a right-click -> Play.

Note a correction to my previous comment:

That should be "The errors DO NOT occur"
dopus.20130604.122613.zip (23.2 KB)

Thanks!

The crash appears to be happening within:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\contextmenu64.dll

Some versions of Google Drive appear to have caused problems for other people in the past, as well, although it seems to be a little random and may only be certain problematic versions which then got fixed.

I'd suggest seeing if the crash goes away if you temporarily disable all of the Google Drive shell extensions using ShellExView, and then reboot. (Uninstalling Google Drive is another way to test it, if that's easier, but using ShellExView is probably quickest.)

If disabling the Google Drive extensions does seem to cure the problem, it may be possible to disable them inside of Opus while keeping them for other things, which we can go into if needed.

Disabling the Google Drive extensions has fixed the problem. However, this appears to be a problem in the interaction between Google Drive and Directory Opus, as I wasn't able to reproduce the problem with the regular Windows Explorer. This is Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, if that matters.

I think Google Drive is just unstable in general (at least in recent versions), and how/when/where/whether that instability manifests is different for different setups.

Here are threads about Google Drive's shell extensions crashing WIndows Explorer, with no involvement with Opus (there are loads more, these are just from the top of the Google search results):

[ul][li] answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... aecd425f4d[/li]
[li] social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 2597d5ad44[/li]
[li] answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... a333ba2564[/li]
[li] support.google.com/drive/search ... orer+crash (lots here)[/li]
[li] answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 0f0cafe75c[/li][/ul]