Strange bug with toolbars

Thanks!

They won't be visible outside of Customize mode, but should always be visible when editing.

Are you clicking OK in the Customize dialog after resetting the File Display toolbar?

Which method are you using to reset it? (E.g. Right-click empty space on the toolbar and then Factory Reset This Toolbar.)

Yes right click and reset this toolbar. The thing is it works properly until I open a new lister and then the toolbar reverts.

@Leo here is a screen recording:

1 Like

It's like the change isn't being saved to disk, only in memory.

If you paste /dopusdata/Buttons/File Display.dop into the path field and push return, it should highlight the file in question.

Does the Modified timestamp on it indicate it has been saved recently?

If not, try making a backup of it, then open the original in a text editor (Notepad will do), and see if you can add a new line to the bottom, save it, and then re-load it with the line still there.

If that doesn't work, something might be blocking the file from being updated. (Could be a program holding a lock on it, and we've also seen search indexing and antivirus/antimalware block writes to XML files in the past, as another possibility.)

It was modified today at 11:07 am which right when I created the screen recording.

1 Like

Long shot, but could a script be overwriting the toolbar file? Maybe something that was set up to swap between different toolbars sometimes?

Or any kind of sync or backup tools monitoring the Buttons folder?

Something to check:

• Go to the folder the toolbar is in
  • Reset the toolbar
  • Verify the date/time changed
  • Make a copy of the toolbar

Then open a new window, and see if the date/time or size/content have changed again.

If changed again as a result of opening the new window, and there's no clear reason, repeating those steps while recording a ProcessMonitor log might be the best way to find out what's modifying the file.

I definitely don't have any scripts or tools running. I noticed it on my other machine as well which is a VM running on my Unraid server. I created a log in procmon. May I DM it to you?

Please do!

• Could you check if this is on or off:

Preferences / File Operations / Options / Shutdown Directory Opus when all functions finish

I'm not sure if it's involved, but it's possible, and I want to try with the same mode you're using.

• Also, how are you closing the Customize dialog in the video above? Clicking OK, or something else?

I have that option unchecked. I let Opus run in the background. When I closed the customize dialog I clicked OK not Cancel. Sorry!

1 Like

Thanks, that's all good. Just making sure I'm doing the same thing.

I think I've reproduced it now. It depends a sequence of things in the exact right order (and not doing anything extra once they're in that state). Should be able to fix it now.

Many thanks for your time answering all my questions!

No problem, glad I was able to help find a bug! Thank you!

1 Like

We've fixed this for the next beta. Many thanks again.

Thanks!!

1 Like

@Leo I went to reset the toolbars after updating to .35 today and experienced a crash. I'm including the URL to this post in my log submission. My log ID is 86.

After crashing I reset the toolbar again, the first reset did take so that bug is fixed but after resetting again it crashed again. This was the same File Display toolbar. I submitted the second crash. Log ID 88.

Thanks, and apologies for the new bug! We have a fix coming.

Until the new installer is up, you can avoid the crash by displaying the Keys tab in Customize before doing the reset.

Thanks for the workaround. No need to apologize, it's a beta! I'm grateful to be able to test and report things to you.

1 Like

Thanks for your patience!

I've uploaded a new version of 13.0.35 to get the fix out sooner. If you redownload you should get the newer installer.

We'll include it in 13.0.36 as well, of course, but I figure it's worth getting out ASAP as people are going to be resetting toolbars a lot at the moment.

In case browser or CDN caching causes any issue, you can tell the newer installer via the Properties dialog and the digital signature timestamp. (The date and hour will differ by timezone, but the minutes and seconds will be the same everywhere.) New one is on the right:

I'm definitely getting the cached version. Any way to force the new one to download. I tried in a different browser as well.

CDN might take a while to update in some regions. Here's an alternative download that won't be cached:

https://leo.dopus.com/temp/DOpusInstall-13.0.35_b.Beta.exe