Strange issue with V10 and Imaging

Hi,

I recently had to restore my PC (a Lenovo G505) from an image backup created by AOMEI Backupper Pro 2.1. I restored the full drive, including the OS partition, C: containing Windows 8.1

Everything was fine at reboot except for DirOpus which would freeze. I reinstalled it and reloaded the last saved configuration, it solved the issue. What I find really strange is that DirOpus is so far the only application that seem to have an issue after restore. AOMEI Backupper Pro used VSS to create the image and the chain of incremental images, I used the next to the last one. Is there some "lock" set by DirOpus 10 that would make imaging no working ?

Also, is there a way to force DirOpus at launch to use a saved configuration rather than the current one ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

.merle1.

If the disk imaging is doing its job properly, Opus would have no way to even know the system had been imaged, even if it wanted to go wrong. :slight_smile:

I'm not sure what could be going wrong, though. The imaging can't be working properly if the system isn't identical to how it was when the image was made, that much seems for sure. I would raise this with the team who make the imager.

I think we have a (possibly undocumented/unsupported) way to make Opus launch with a config backup, but if your aim is to automate things as part of a post-image process, just copying the config directories would be easier for you.

I would restore the image again, just to check, if same error occurs again. You also may not have noticed other problems until now and an error-free image should make no probs after a restors (esp. not with DO).

[quote="leo"]If the disk imaging is doing its job properly, Opus would have no way to even know the system had been imaged, even if it wanted to go wrong. :slight_smile:

I'm not sure what could be going wrong, though. The imaging can't be working properly if the system isn't identical to how it was when the image was made, that much seems for sure. I would raise this with the team who make the imager.

I think we have a (possibly undocumented/unsupported) way to make Opus launch with a config backup, but if your aim is to automate things as part of a post-image process, just copying the config directories would be easier for you.[/quote]

Thanks for your answer. The only conclusion I draw so far is that the restored system is not fully identical. To add more details, when I restored the last incremental image I made, not only DO was damaged, but also the VSS feature of Windows, which is hard/impossible to repair for a normal user, even knowlegded.

Could you tell me where the config directories lie for V10 ? A direct copy from the backup would be ok ?

Thanks. This is tempting but it is a lenthy process, 2 hours at least and I have tried at least 2 ou 3 differents imagers with various backups/images made with them before finding the (almost) right combination, so I already spent quite some time on this. Besides, since last restore, I have made many changes, downloaded new files, received new mails... Etc. If I could trust enough one imager, I could try this. I am currently trying Macrium Reflect which has never failed me so far (on other PCs). But I think I will try a restoration only if a non fixable issue occurs.

I will also do that if I see any other program having an issue after this restoration, but so far I have seen none. Which doesn't mean there is none. It could take months before something else comes up. So I guess I have to keep all those images (around 2 TB) in the mean time. Good for the HDD industry and Amazon...

In the mean time, I will fully quit DO when performing an image. What would be even better is to perform "cold" images, but this is more less convenient (I have to reboot from the backup/recovery media, perform the image, reboot again, etc.).

I'd like also to receive an answer from AOMEI, maybe they have some light to shed on this.

Thanks again.

I use Macrium too (also my customers) - no probs after xx restores!

Maybe you should separate system and data (e.g. 2 partitions). I always have 2 full sys-images (I don't like incremental) and for data I use SyncBackPro.

How to backup or locate your Opus configuration (Simple)
How to backup or locate your Opus configuration (Advanced)