Switching between private and shared configuration

Hi,

hopefully a quick one that I'm overlooking. Running DOPUS 10.2 on W7 (32-bit) I cannot switch from private configuration files. I am doing the following:

Setting > Preferences > File > Change Configuration Mode > Yes > restart now

Welcome to Directory Opus > Next
(Language) English > Next
(Launch on startup) Don't launch on startup > Next
(Explorer Replacement) Don't replace explorer > Next
(FTP Handling) leave the current handler > Next
(ZIP Handling) leave the current handler > Next
(Picture & Sound) Use default handler > Next
Directory Opus initialisation complete > Finish

I am not asked to choose between shared or private configuration files. Selecting Change Configuration Mode again tells me I'm still currently set as Private.

Has anyone seen this before?. As an office PC, some restrictions may apply to my desktop. Could it be that the option of a shared configuration is skipped if a local restriction is detected?.

Regards,

Neil.

It might be that the shared configuration area is permissioned to prevent you (or Opus on your behalf) writing data to it.

If you type /dopusglobaldata into the location field, are you able to create some test files and folders below the location it takes you to?

Hi Leo,

if I enter /dopusglobaldata into the location field of dopus, I see the folders: Buttons, GlobalData, Icons. I also see the file dopus.cert.

I can create files in this location without issue. The same is true of /dopusdata and /dopuslocaldata. It doesn't appear to be a permissions issue, in the sense that I have rights to create/delete files in shared locations. The one place I do not have permissions to write to without elevated permissions (run as Administrator) is C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus.

I get no error messages, Access Denied messages or Retry/Cancel messages. I get no prompt to provide an admin account to allow changes (as is the norm when permissions are insufficient). Dopus runs happily but without switching the configuration to shared. I've considered manually copying the configuration to the /dopusglobaldata location (C:\ProgramData\GPSoftware\Directory Opus) but if it looks to a private location first then this would serve no purpose.

This is a customized-for-office-use W7 desktop however, complete with AD domain, user/group profiles and centrally delivered applications via. I appreciate this makes it difficult for you to troubleshoot but if you have any further ideas I'll be happy to try them.

Dopus is not centrally delivered by the way, it was installed manually but Ran As Administrator.

Thanks for investigating that. I have been able to reproduce the problem and we will fix this in the next update.

In the meantime, you can workaround the issue by adjusting one of the configuration files manually. If you navigate to the location /dopusdata you should find a file called userdata.omd. Edit that file in a text editor like Notepad, and locate the config_type attribute and change the value to shared. Then restart Opus.

Maybe this is related and already understood, maybe not.

I've completely uninstalled and then installed Opus several times lately due to a different problem.

It occurred to me that when I installed on a system not having Opus installed at the time, I didn't get the question that I remembered from the past about whether or not to have shared configuration files. I didn't think too much about it because I was more interested in my other problem.

To make the install process a bit simpler, the question is no longer asked on a new installation - instead it just defaults to using private configuration.

Thanks for the workaround jon. That's worked for me. As we have many different AD accounts logging into the same PCs in a "hotdesking" office environment the use of a single, shared a configuration is essential to ensure new authentications get a predetermined configuration.

I know this ancient but how does one switch between individual and shared configurations on a current version of OPUS?

Never mind. I found it in the File menu of Preferences.