GP SoftwareTwitter
Opus FAQsManualCommandsObjects

Sync Anomaly


#1

I have a saved dual pane layout with My Documents structure on the left, a backup target of the same structure on the right, and the synchronise panel open with navigation lock on. The source structure is large (~7500 documents). Here is the layout immediately after opening.


When I click Compare, the process takes quite a long time (~30 secs) and the result is as shown below.


I know this to be complete nonsense, so I click Compare a 2nd time. The operation is quick (< 5 secs) and the result is as expected.


This is always repeatable. I have observed that if I navigate up or down the source structure hierarchy before clicking Compare, the operation works correctly - i.e. no changes detected. It’s just My Documents structure that does this. Other similar saved layouts with the synchronise panel open and navigation lock on, work perfectly.

Regards, AB


Directory Opus 10.5.0.1 (beta)
#2

Is E: an external drive that hasn’t spun up yet, or something like that? (grasping at straws…)


#3

No, E: is an internal (2nd) drive. Other layout based sync operations involving a C:\ structure as source and E:\ structure as target work as expected.

Regards, AB


#4

Just looking at your screenshot - the dates shown in C: are actually different to those in E:.


#5

Those are just the folder creation dates. The files contained in the folders are identical. I performed a sync earlier today, which is why the expected result is “no changes detected”.

Regards, AB


#6

This is still bugging me, numerous Opus updates down the track, so I did some more digging today. Relevant facts are:

[ol][li]The source My Documents structure is large (~14GB) with many folders and 20K+ files.[/li][li]The target structure exists and is almost identical to the source except for a few recently added/changed files and folders.[/li][li]It makes no difference if the target is on a local drive or an external (USB) drive.[/li][li]It also happens with a vanilla Opus configuration.[/li][li]Opus 64-bit v10.5.0.0.[/li][/ol]
Findings are:

[ol][li]The compare only misbehaves if my saved layout includes Navlock ON.[/li][li]When Navlock is ON, it happens repeatably but only if I open the saved layout and click Compare without touching the target pane.[/li][li]If I do anything that touches the target pane (e.g. click target then click back on source) then the compare behaves normally.[/li][li]When the problem happens, the “Reading contents of sub-folders…” pop up appears on the source pane and not on the target pane, otherwise it appears on both panes (or sometimes on neither pane).[/li][/ol]
I have only seen this happen with My Documents but that may not be relevant. Anyway, the additional information might provide a clue as to what is going on.

Regards, AB


#7

Looks like we will have a solution for this in the next update.


#8

I dont know if this is the right post, but I have a similar problem with the speed (and only with the speed) comparing two directories.
A comparison (not copying the files!) takes more then 10/15 min. - every other software take 2 or less min. for the same job.

The source structure is large (~50GB) with many folders and 20K+ files.
The target structure exists and is almost identical to the source except for a few recently added/changed files and folders.
It makes no difference if the target is on a local drive or an external (USB) drive.
Opus 64-bit v10.5.0.0. (4.7.7.9)


#9

Maybe this helps: