Sync causes long delay

Until I upgraded to the beta version, 12.9.3, Sync was working without a problem. Now, after upgrading, when I do a Sync, DOpus freezes (says Not Responding") for a significant period of time before completing the folder comparison stage of the sync. Then, when I click "Synchronize", it freezes again. I made a video showing the problem and also attached a screen shot.

Thanks,
Ben

Component Brand & Model

Motherboard ==> Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
CPU ==> Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
Memory ==> G.SKILL Tr​identZ RGB​ 32GB (4 X (2 x​ 8GB)) DDR4​ 3200 RAM ​F4-3200C16​D-16GTZR
Storage ==> Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card ==> EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card
Operating Sys ==> Windows 10 Home x64

Do you get the same problem if you go into the source and destination folders and turn on Flat View?

Is it tied to a particular (sub-)folder, or particular files or types of files within the foloders?

How many files are involved? It looks like the status bar is off in the screenshot so we can't see that information.

Is the video you made available somewhere?

Hi Leo
Where can I submit the video. The problem seems to only be on my desktop not my laptop, which is a 7th gen i7 CPU with 16GB RAM and Windows 7 x63 Enterprise.

The affected folders have between 12,000 and 56,000 files in 50-100+ folders/sub-folders. I guess I don't know how to view everything in Flat View. I selected Flat | Mixed but did not notice a difference in how the files/folders were displayed.

Re. specific folders, I guess I'd say yes as I usually only sync 3 or 4 different main folders from my flash drive to HDD.

Thanks.

Here are screenshots of the 3 folders I sync between my flash drive and HDD:

It could just be the number of files. The sync tool isn't really designed for working with tens of thousands of files, so it may be slow with such a large number while it collates the differences.

Something we may improve one day.

Dedicated folder comparison tools may be a better bet. e.g. WinMerge or Beyond Compare. Both can be integrated into Opus so you click a button to compare the two open or selected folders.

Flat View Grouped is the mode most similar to what the sync tool uses.

thanks, Leo. I guess I must have recently crossed some threshold for number of files and/or folders that is now causing the delay I am experiencing.

How do I integrate WinMerge or Beyond Compare into Opus?

Also, I already own FolderMatch. Can that be integrated into Opus the way you suggest WinMerge and Beyond Compare can?

thanks again

If the number of files didn't increase, or increase very much, between it working OK and getting slow, then it could be something else.

Synchronize, like Flat View (Grouped), will display all the files at once, which potentially means things like 3rd party shell extensions are called on a huge number of files, and files of lots of different types. If there's a problem with a particular shell extension (or with code in Opus, which can also happen) and a particular file, it could be that causing a delay, and Sync is only really involved because it's triggering that file to be displayed. If you think that might be happening, the best thing is to try and narrow down if the slow-down only happens when certain folders are included/displayed.

Re FolderMatch, I don't know if anyone has posted a pre-made way to integrate it, but most file/folder comparison tools work quite similarly, so it's usually pretty easy to do.

This post has a script/button which handles integrating various similar tools: