Sync preferences files?

Hi,

I'm running Dopus on my home PC and my laptop. Is there some way to sync the preference files, perhaps using dropbox? I'm new to Dopus and am making a lot of changes to the preferences. It would be great not to have to remember to export and import the config all the time.

thanks,
tony

I use Dropbox to sync. Works well.

Regards, AB

Sample Save/Restore button code:

@set dir = "/profile\Dropbox\OpusSettings\" @confirm:Backup this configuration?|Backup|Cancel Prefs BACKUP=all TO {$dir}"{date|yyyy-MM-dd}@{time|HHmm}" Quiet Go {$dir} NEWTAB=findexisting Select FIRST TYPE=files

@set dir = "/profile\Dropbox\OpusSettings\" Go {$dir} NEWTAB=findexisting Select FIRST TYPE=files @confirm:Restore this configuration?|Restore|Cancel Prefs RESTORE=all,replace QUIET FROM {file$}
Regards, AB

If you want the syncing to be completely automated, you can do it by moving your Opus configuration directory (/dopusdata) to somewhere under your Dropbox folder. You would then need to make a link or junction from the new location of the configuration directory back to the original spot.

So for instance, if your existing Opus configuration directory is C:\Users\tonydav\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware\Directory Opus you would move the first folder somewhere under your Dropbox folder, and then create a junction called Directory Opus in C:\Users\tonydav\AppData\Roaming\GPSoftware that points to the new location.

Jon, that's what I needed to know. Both my dropbox drives are in the same location so it should work. Will give it a burl.

Thanks,
tony

Seems to have worked a treat.

Thanks heaps
tony

this is a truly excellent solution, I've had this problem for ages. The only problem is, you can't have a different default layout !!
everytime I use my other computers, I get my first computer's layout :cry:
is there a solution to this? can the file keeping this information be somehow excluded?

i m referring to jon's dropbox solution btw

Jon, how reliable is the dropbox solution against concurrent changes of different systems (e.g. when having DOpus running on the workstation as well as on the notebook)?

I assume that changes that are made in the preferences of system 1 are not recognized by a DOpus instance on system 2 when opening the preferences dialog there (DOpus on system 2 were started before the changes were made on system 1)? Rather these recent changes of system 1 may be overriden by the preferences of system 2 when closing the dialog on system 2?

Correct, it would only work reliably with one instance of Opus running at a time.

can't dopus be made to look for specific configuration files (say, "mydefaultlister.oll") elsewhere ?

Mind you, I am using playful's setup (thanks again, playful !)

After stupidly attempting to create a relative symlink inside my dropbox symlink, I came up with a different solution, but it requires that you click on the Home ("happy place") button.

Playful has two buttons: one for going back to your default lister (named "my lister"), and one for saving your current layout AS this default lister.

the two buttons are

Prefs SETDEFAULTLISTER=quiet Prefs LAYOUTSAVE=single LAYOUTNAME="My Lister" LAYOUTCLOSELISTERS=yes

and

Prefs LAYOUT="My Lister"

All I did was create a variable which is inevitably different for each pc, and renamed the default lister accordingly:

@set dir=%COMPUTERNAME% Prefs SETDEFAULTLISTER=quiet Prefs LAYOUTSAVE=single LAYOUTNAME="{$dir}-My Lister" LAYOUTCLOSELISTERS=yes

@set dir=%COMPUTERNAME%
Prefs LAYOUT="{$dir}-My Lister"

I feel like I just leveled up in Dopus !
:thumbsup:

1 Like

ahem, is there a way to open up a lister by doubleclicking on the desktop, and have a lister setup such as this: LAYOUTNAME="{$dir}-My Lister" ?

You can configure desktop double-click to run a user command which in turn can run any command(s) that you want.

:blush: I had never seen this option before!!